wood burning stove sits beneath roof-top deck - how to run chimney?

i am installing a chimney for a friend's wood burning stove, but it sits in a part of the house above which is a flat, roof-top deck. how do i run the chimney for this? straight through the roof? if so, how high does the chimney need to be? if i go through-the-wall and then up, again, how high should the chimney be? thanks so much in advance for any help!!

Reply to
kenickie

If you don't know the answer to these questions, you shouldn't be doing this job. Maybe on your OWN house, but not on someone else's. The chimney must be more than 24" above anything within 10' of it. Do you have any idea how you're going to seal around the roof penetration so that it doesn't leak?

I'm assuming this is a metal chimney.. Do you know what clearances it requires for going through roofs and walls?

Reply to
Goedjn

Note that if you do not install the woodstove, chimney, and hearth pad to code - have it inspected by building inspector *and* insurance company, and there is a fire because of this, the insurance company will NOT pay for damage.

I did not want to risk losing everything, so I paid around $3000 for an EPA woodstove (required), a stainless steel chimney double lined (required), and a properly sized hearth pad. I got a building permit and had everything inspected by the building inspector and my insurance company. I also needed to change my insurance to cover a woodstove.

Instructions for properly installing a woodstove come with each *specific* model of woodstove. Size of chimney, distance from walls, and size of hearth pad are different for each model of woodstove.

Also chimney manufacturers installation instructions...

Bill