Wiring a dimmer switch....

Reply to
copey

I wouldn't say his post was clear, it implies something else that I mentioned above.

It would have been far better if he was offering additional advice to have pointed to a page somewhere on the web showing how to do it or explain his comments fully rather than making generally unclear comments.

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Tee hee, but maybe it was Jan...

Reply to
Andy Wade

"Lurch" wrote | Actually, what I meant was if it were a two way switch with a twin | coming from the light fitting it wouldn't matter which way round | the live and switch wire went into the two terminals that they were | required to go into, (L1 and L2, or similar).

Buuuut ...

If you've got a live and a switch live at the switch, and you put one into L1 and one into L2, the light will never come one because a two-way switch never shorts L1-L2. Does it?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I heard a whooshing sound. Something just flew over my head. What's this reference to Ruth then?

PoP

PoP

Archers, mate. She's the fake Geordie.

Actually it's all terribly interesting right now. David's in a real state over the bovine TB spreading through his beef *and* dairy herds, and not only shot a badger dead recently (and was convicted, a terrible stain on the character of our favourite parish councillor) but is now talking about raising the drinking troughs above badger height. For light relief, he's plotting to annoy Linda Snell by letting Joe Grundy pretend-lease 6 acres of his land, so that Joe qualifies as running an Agricultural Enterprise and will be able to re-erect the pole barn Linda agitated to have the council order Joe to take down. And now Alan, the new right-on vicar, is seriously contemplating a drug rehab centre in the parish, after his failed attempt to help Luke who'd once stayed at Jill's on a farm holiday off the heroin. He's got right up Matt Crawford's nose with this idea - oh, and Matt is sh*gging Lilian, who's back from Guernsey and looking as if she wants to settle down. Alistair's hitting the bottle and letting his vet practice's finances go down the toilet, which Shula's just about to discover (or maybe has, haven't listened for a couple of days).

Shall I go on? ;-)

Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

Nnnnnnoooooooo! ;)

PoP

PoP

Quite right, it doesn't. But that's not how a two way switch works. Draw a diagram, trace the route through the switches, then come back. ;-)

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Reply to
Floozie

"Lurch" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >| Actually, what I meant was if it were a two way switch with a | >| twin coming from the light fitting it wouldn't matter which | >| way round the live and switch wire went into the two terminals | >| that they were required to go into, (L1 and L2, or similar). | >Buuuut ... | >If you've got a live and a switch live at the switch, and you | >put one into L1 and one into L2, the light will never come one | >because a two-way switch never shorts L1-L2. Does it? | Quite right, it doesn't. But that's not how a two way switch works. | Draw a diagram, trace the route through the switches, then come back. | ;-)

But you said "two way switch with a twin coming from the light fitting" and "a live and switch wire" (switch wire singular) so you weren't describing

2-way switching and it does matter that one of the wire has to go into the COM if you're using a 2-way switch as a 1-way.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think you'll find if you follow the thread the topic moved to theories of two way switching. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

"Lurch" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | I think you'll find if you follow the thread the topic moved to | theories of two way switching. | ..

Oh, sorry. I was still following the One True Original Thread and hadn't realised that you were talking about the New Standard Revised International Thread.

Owain

Reply to
Owain