dimmer wiring question

Hi,

I accidently bought a 2 way dimmer osmetime back and never got round to returning it so am stuck with it. Just wondeirng if I cn use a 2 way dimmer on a regular single way light switch.

on the dimmer it has a terminal marked C and one marked L1 and L2 I have a single dimmer in this style and wired the 2 wires in L1 and L2 could I do the same with the 2 way wire it the same and ignore the C terminal. Or is there some other way to wire it.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Reply to
souls

A 2-way switch is a change-over switch. In one position, C is connected to L1. In the other position, C is connected to L2. L1 is *never* connected to L2 - so what you suggest won't work.

However, you can use it as a one-way switch simply by wiring live to C and switched live to either L1 or L2 - depending on which position you wish to be 'on'.

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks for the quick reply,

Ok, I understand. Having a look at the wires theres 2 red wires unfortunately there isn't a black sleeve on one of the red wires. How do I go about finding out which the switched live is?

Cheers

Reply to
souls

Yes - it's ok.

Common and one of the 'L' terminals.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you've only got 2 wires, it doesn't really matter which you connect to which terminal - it's only a switch after all, so will work either way round.

If you need to find out, with the wires disconnected, "live" (which comes from the fuse box) will be live when the relevant lighting circuit is switched on at the fuse box, and "switched live" (which goes to the light fitting) won't be live. [But don't turn the power on with bare wires around unless you know what you're doing!]

Reply to
Set Square

Doesn't matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:39:43 +0100, "Set Square" strung together this:

Although it won't make any difference with a 2 way dimmer as it is push on, push off, turn for dim-notsodim.

Reply to
Lurch

thanks all for the replies,

Just done it as said and no problems working fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Reply to
souls