Wiring a dimmer switch....

Hope i'm doing this right.....

i'm trying to wire up a dimmer switch (not too difficult I guess) but my problem is this..... Both the wires on the existing light switch are red so how can I tell which one is 'live'?? The connections on the current switch are marked L1 and Com (i think), but this doesn't help me???

I'm sure it's a simple answer - but i'm not electrically minded.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Floozie

Simple answer- Put one red in Com, put the other red in L1. Turn on light!

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Reply to
stevecope

If it's only a one way switch, as this is, then it doesn't matter.

It would matter if it were a 2way switch and there were three or more wires.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

No it wouldn't.

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

that should help :-?

Reply to
stevecope

Oh yes it would!

(if you ended up with the common going to L1 for example, you would loose the "changeover" effect required, because in one switch position the common would be not connected to anything)

Reply to
John Rumm

What? Was that meant to clear something up somehow?

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Sorry, I don't need two of you at it! I think you could be getting confused with something else, or making it up. ;-)

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Of course it would.

If the wires became mixed up the switch would not work correctly. Also, there are at least two ways to wire a 2 way light circuit.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm not confused...

Ignoring the picture of the U.S. switch with wire nuts, for a 2 way lighting connection in the UK, the placement of wires certainly matters.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I know the placement of wires matters in 2 way switches, if I were to take off my shoes and socks I would be barefoot. What relevance has any of this got to a 1 way dimmer with 2 red wires and 2 terminals on a 1 way switch? Although if both the feed and switch wire in the twin from the fitting are red then none of them go in common, they go in L1 and L2, any way round, doesn't matter.

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

It would also matter if something else was different, but it wasn't\isn't, so doesn't matter

Yes, if it was a two way, but it's not, so it bears no relevance to this thread.

There's more than one way to skin a rabbit, your point is?

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

I love the way these threads spiral out of control. :-)) Who the hell mentioned two way switching in the first place ? :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Yes it does relate to this thread - you replied to this message by Andy Hall:

"> If it's only a one way switch, as this is, then it doesn't matter.

The poster was correct in saying in this situation, for a 1 way switch, it didn't matter each wire went where. He also pointed out (just so the poster didn't assume it was also the case for more ways) that had it been a 2 way switch then it would have mattered where the wires went.

Your reply to that (in other branch of thread - not that included at the top of this message) was:

Which is an incorrect statement - especially as you then said later:

"I know the placement of wires matters in 2 way switches".

The only thing I can see is that you were being troll-like in making a vague confusing reply of "No it wouldn't" meaning it didn't matter because it wasn't a 2 way switch (which was also what the poster said) - but knowing that it would be mis-understood to mean that the wiring didn't matter on 2 way switches. This replying then went on giving obtuse replies - not clearing it up early by saying "It doesn't matter in this situation because its a 1 way switch".

That, to me, is troll-like behaviour.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

None at all, I was simply providing a small piece of additional information, so that the OP, who was uncertain about which way wires go in a 1 way switch, would be prompted to investigate further should he work on a 2 way switch in the future. If somebody changes one switch, then they may be planning to change another.

I didn't provide complete information on how to wire a 2 way switch because that was not necessary.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was simply providing a small piece of additional information, so that the OP, who was uncertain about which way wires go in a 1 way switch, would be prompted to investigate further should he work on a 2 way switch in the future. If somebody changes one switch, then they may be planning to change another.

I didn't provide complete information on how to wire a 2 way switch because that was not necessary. .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I already made the point as to why I provided a small amount of additional information for future reference. That is perfectly reasonable.

You are the one who is making the whole thing into something far larger than intended.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Is there any chance you could expand on this please?

Reply to
anyone

Flooz is now very confused..... (wonder if it's a woman thing......)

Reply to
Floozie