Wiring Question

I have a dimmer switch with black, green & red wires. I want to connect this switch to a halogen lamp that has ground, black & white wires. Any assistance concerning the above would be most appreciated.

Reply to
Marvin Rosen

Green is a ground, both black and red are "hot", and white is neutral. Does the cable supplying the electricity from the circuit breaker go to the lamp or to the switch? Or are you trying to install the dimmer *in* the light fixture? I'll try to answer so it doesn't matter, but the specifics of how you wire it up are a little different for each case:

A dimmer usually just replaces a switch. Connect the hot (usually black but might be red) supply wire to the black wire on the dimmer, the red wire goes to the black wire on the lamp, and the white wire on the lamp goes to the white supply wire. All the green and bare wires get connected together. If you use a white wire to run from the red wire of the dimmer to the black wire of the lamp (commonly done if the supply wires go a ceiling box for the lamp and a 2 or 3 conductor wire runs down to the switch box), you really ought to wrap black tape around each end of the white wire to signify that it is "hot".

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob