Cementboard: Nails vs. screws

Time to replace the plastic tub surround with ceramic tile, and the experiences and information I've found here has been invaluable. Thank you. I'll have more questions about this job as I go along, but right now, I've seen screws for cementboard for sale with the boards, but some here say galvanized roofing nails are OK. Wouldn't screws have a greater holding power over nails?

--jim

Reply to
Lab309

install thinset under the cement board with a notched trowel and nail down with 2" galv. roofing nails. that is "my" preferred method.

Reply to
Petro

Try pulling CBB off after it's nailed on. The nails pull through the CBB before the nails pull out. Screws are overkill.

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)