Wiring 8 socket extension into fusebox

Hi,

Just had a new split protected fuse box installed by sparkie.

I want to connect what essentially is a large 8 socket extension bloc to the socket ring on the RCD protected side of the fusebox. Th extension block came from an electronic manufacturer's assembly lin and is of top quality.

I did have this previously connected with std 3 core cable directl into the old fuse-box which did not have RCD protection - the sparkie rightly took a dim view to this !

So the question is - what cabling should I use to connect this thing t the fuse box - or perhaps a question before this is should I actuall hard-wire this into the fusebox. It is physically adjacent to th fusebox and only needs 2 ffet of cabling.

MAny thanks

-- Tim Kedwards

Reply to
Tim Kedwards

It should be connected to a 13A FCU, which should be connected to the consumer unit (or a convenient ring mounted socket) using 2.5mm T&E cable, assuming the run is relatively short and is not buried in insulation. The unit can be connected to the FCU using either 1.5mm T&E cable (or bigger), or using a 13A flexible lead. The FCU can be mounted either at the consumer unit end or close to the 8 way unit and should be labelled.

If the 8 way unit explicitly allows protection at 32A, then you may connect using probably 6mm cable and no FCU, although you may have to do a specific calculation to determine the actual cable CSA required.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

actually

insulation. The

If there's a spare slot in the new CU it might be simpler to buy another mcb of appropriate rating and wire it directly into that as a short radial circuit. Do the regs allow wiring flex into a cu? I can see it could cause problems if trying to mix solid and stranded conductors. Not that its something I've ever considered doing.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Ingram