Focus of attention is a 650W electric hedgecutter plugged via a 30m extensi on lead into a 13A socket on a house 30A ring MCB/RCD protected circuit. Th e supply is PME if that is relevant. The hedgecutter is double insulated & its lead has only L & N cores - ie no earth, though the extension lead does carry an earth conductor. The extension cable is rated 10A, fully unwound - 3A reeled up.
So to get to the point: how well protected is the user from electric shock?
Are things improved or made worse by inserting one of those plug-in RCDs wh ich are often advocated for portable appliances? & if improved, where shou ld the RCD device be inserted - ie at the house socket or at the end of the extension lead?
TIA for any views.