Extension lead ruined by sunlight

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away. Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.
How long did this take, assuming your house is not on the surface of the planet Mercury of course! Brian
--
----- -
On 23/11/2016 17:51, Brian Gaff wrote:

About 5 years. It's a south facing window, on the top floor of the house, but that doesn't really increase the altitude significantly.
Brian Gaff wrote:

This was discussed here months ago. I think that the poster was dennis@home or something. It was suggested that some heavy object had fallen onto his extension lead. He posted a dropbox video of the crumbling plastic and his fingers removing little bits of plastic.
On 23/11/16 19:20, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Was "Chris B" - Multi socket extension lead - interesting failure mode https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/uk.d-i-y/-pc1hsIVHk8/discussion

--
Adrian C

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

I stand corrected. Well done Sir.
On 23/11/2016 19:20, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

It's definitely crumbling of the plastic, not impact damage.
It's made by Masterplug, which I had thought was an okay make?
On 24/11/16 10:31, GB wrote:

Apparently there wasn't impact damage involved in the earlier case, that OP found the item like that.

Does it look like https://www.dropbox.com/s/bb3l80251v7ivqj/IMG_20160919_164223098.jpg?dl=0
--
Adrian C

On 24/11/2016 13:03, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

A bit like that, but mine is more crumbly, I think.
http://tinypic.com/m/jq2jhw/2
http://tinypic.com/m/jq2jhx/2
On 24/11/16 13:26, GB wrote:

As it happens today I've binned an 'Addis Cutlery Drainer' that's had a hard year of occasional sunshine UV exposure holding our toothbrushes.
http://www.addis.co.uk/sink-side/drainers-cutlery-holders/cutlery-drainers.html?pidC6
It's crumbling similarly and bits are now easily snapped off. I'd say at a guess it's made of the same type of disintegrating cheese where I think (looking at google) they may have left out the necessary UV stabilising additives. These things are meant to have a 10 year guarantee!
--
Adrian C

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Yes.

I've got a few melted ones. They never seem to be able to take as much current as the fuse.
--
Women claim that they never pursue a man. Well, by the same token, a mousetrap never pursues a mouse, but the end result is
the same.
GB wrote:

Doesn't even require sunlight. I had a couple of (probably 5YO) works ones disintegrate and they lived in the bottom of boxes in a van - so maybe just heat or cold.
Seems to be the cheap nasty ones from China.
--
Scott

On 17:54 23 Nov 2016, Scott M wrote:

That sounds like most of the stuff you get in a pound shop: if it doesn't spectacularly fail to the job properly as soon as you get it home but actually seems quite reasonable and a real bargain - then after a period it will degrade to the point of being completely unfit for purpose.

That is radically overstating what you get in a pound shop.
Most of it works fine for as long as anything else.

Only dangerous to someone so unobservant not to see it happening. Anyway, don't you have those namby pamby circuit breakers?
--
What's the difference between a hooker and a drug dealer?
A hooker can wash her crack and sell it again.

--
Peter is in the top three most intelligent people -- Ron Tompkins, circa 2013.

I've got a long extension lead powering the medion wifi repeater that is half way down the back neighbours back yard, providing free wifi for that neighbour. The extension lead runs along the top of the fence rail in full sun and it has lasted fine for years now, no plastic rot at all.
I've got others inside the house that have the full sun on them right thru the winter and those have lasted for decades literally.
Yours must have been cheap crap extension leads.
On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 06:04:52 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

About 1969 I ran 2.5mm FT&E to a shed (about 2m away), replaced it this year when I re-roofed the shed. It was still somewhat flexible and there were no cracks. I did cut it up and dump it though. They don't make 'em like that nowadays.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away