Extension lead ruined by sunlight

wrote

They do, actually.
On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 19:11:38 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

I don't think we're allowed to do that in the UK. Even in the 60s my dad ran the cable in a metal pipe so it didn't get bitten by animals or be too exposed to rain adn snow and of course the sun.

Corse you are, that’s how the electrical stuff like lawnmowers, hedge clippers, strimmers etc are powered, stupid.
And you certainly arent allowed to power the entire house from the builder's temporary supply here. I did that anyway.
With the extension cord from the wooden pole that the meter box with the power sockets inside was on, to the eaves of the house. With a knot in that cord to keep it from falling down. The plastic was a bit melted inside the knot when the electricity supply operation eventually wagged a finger and made me get the house connected properly.
That extension cord had a jesus adapter that powered the entire house, including the big wall oven and grill, electric storage hot water, everything. All you had to do was be a bit careful to not turn it all on at once.
Even if you managed to do that it would just take out the fuse in the builders temporary supply meter box.

We do have galahs which can get a bit like that but its never happened and there is bugger all of that cable that is where they can get at it anyway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galah

I don’t bother, trivial to replace it if it eventually decays.
Don’t expect it ever will need replacing. She's not going to live forever.
On Thursday, 24 November 2016 20:25:12 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

at

No it's not stupid. Who runs their extention cable along the top of a fence to mow the lawn and leaves it there for years. If yuo;r fixing it to a fence or leaving it outside it should be covered at least wehn it's not in use.

Why does that not suprise me.

It's your fence, you do as as you wish with it.
--
What's the best form of birth control after 50?
Nudity.
On Friday, 25 November 2016 15:07:35 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

yes you can do what you want with yuor fence.
No you can't because iut can be shared with next door. You can own a car that doesn't mean you can do what you like with it. electrical work in the garden must be fully compliant to BS7671:2008
On 23/11/2016 14:57, GB wrote:

That is why I find it amusing number of people will put t&e (not in conduit) external to their house to feed ashed or garage
On 11/24/2016 5:50 PM, rick wrote:

Not ideal certainly, but the PVC sheath is fairly UV resistant, even more so if painted. Unlikely to be much risk, especially with RCD protection.
That failed spreader was certainly a very poor material.

I had some T&E feeding an external light fail, even though it was painted and fastened up under the soffit, out of direct sunlight. There was no external evidence I could see, although it was short circuit.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 37th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.

Did you expect it to last forever? When things wear out, you throw them away. Simple.
--
Six stages of married life:
1: Tri-weekly
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

You really are something else.
God knows what, though.
--
Scott

te:

nny

hem

GB came on here to complain that what looks like a 2.99 Aldi extension strip wore out. So what? Buy another one.
-- The difference between insane asylums and our schools is that in the insane asylum you have to show some improvement before you can get out.

You are so selfish that your only thought is that I was complaining. I wasn't. I was warning other people on this NG that there's a potential problem that could lead to an electric shock or fire, possibly.
There's a clue in the OP that ought to have penetrated your self-centred brain, where I say: "Just a minor warning:".
And, yes, of course, I've thrown the extension lead away, and next time I buy one it will be a better make. However cheap the original lead was, it doesn't excuse it being hazardous.

sion

ed

s,

Why do people need to be warned to throw things away when they fall apart?
-- I got the strangest recording when I called the phone company the other day. It said, "You have been connected to the correct department on the first try. This is against company policy. Please hang up and redial."

You just show yourself up as an idiot when you ask inane questions. Clearly, the answer to your stupid question is that the damage may not be immediately apparent.
On 26/11/16 22:30, GB wrote:

You just show yourself up as an idiot when you answer with inane answers.
If the damage is not apparent, how do you know its faulty at all?

You missed out a key word in order to make a daft point. I said immediately apparent.
In my case, only the side of the extension lead facing the sun was brittle. Since I normally only saw it from the other side, the first I knew of the problem was when I picked up the extension lead, the plastic crumbled away, and my fingers were in direct contact with the conductors. Fortunately, I had the earths towards the windows, so I was earthed rather than shocked.

rote:

g. I

tial

time

ot

ers.

ic

Oh you poor thing. An electric shock won't kill you, especially with modern namby pamby circuit breakers.
-- There are two people I trust to use my computer. Myself and you are not the other one.
On 26/11/16 22:45, GB wrote:

And the damage became immediately apparent.
Fortunately, I had the earths towards the windows, so I was

ng. I

ntial

ad

not

wers.

tic

He'd have to be damn stupid to continue gripping it once he felt it crumble. So zero chance of a sensible person touching the insides.
-- Yellatio: Really loud oral sex