Wireless Thermostats

Anyone used these and found them any good?

Thinking about the Heatmiser PRT-W

I need to ensure it's simple to operate for an elderly relation

Thanks

Reply to
Will

> but I need to ensure it's simple to operate for an elderly relation Yes, had one for about 6 years, works well, it did go "a bit squiffy" earlier this year, clock running wildly adrift from actual time, I spoke to their tech dept to see if it was a common/known fault even though it was well out of warranty, they said nothing they could think of apart from a buggered xtal, so I factory reset the settings, and replaced an internal coin cell, it's now all fine again.

Presume you'd program it for them?

you can temporarily increase/decrease the set temperature, or put the water on at times it would normally be off (though it's not just a hour boost, it stays on until next off period)

changing the clock (e.g for summertime) is a bit of faff, unles they've changed it on the newer firmware.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I use a separate stat and a timer.

Once est up its easy. Hot water is of course pretty much ion all day because SWMBO has no idea about DHW. Its just got to be 'there' and anyway teh cits are trivaial.

CH is a bit different, Its set on timers and on the stat. She knows enough to hit the 'boost' button - gives an hour of heat - or to turn the thermostat up if the room is too cold.

But stats and elderly people or technically dumb people are a waste of time in terms of anything but background heat, because when its cold they will always simply turn it up to 11, in the strange belief it wioll make it warm up quicker, like a gas stove. Then when it gets too hot they open the windows...

Best to set it permanently to something like 16C and provide a gas fire..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks everyone