Wireless thermostats

The CH system in my new house has no room stat fitted (so it's not new in that sense). I'm leaning towards a wireless programmable unit, having had a (wired) unit in my last house which worked very well in terms of flexibility and programmability.

The Honeywell CM67RF seems to be the unit of choice around here - my only concern being how sensitive it is (or isn't) to relay location. Any owners with any bad experiences of these devices not working well through walls or cupboard doors or the like ? My boiler is in a downstairs loo-cum-shower room(*) and I suppose the relay box really ought to be fitted inside the cupboard that hides all the pipes, FCU, etc. Either that or out through the wall behind into the kitchen. It would not be especially easy to run longer cables from further afield, especially as it requires both mains power and the terminal switching pair.

(*) Part P, sigh. I suppose I ought to get a certified numpty in, and he certainly shouldn't use any old style wire I may have in the shed, nor claim to be replacing an existing thermostat...

TIA.

Reply to
lairdy

My Danfoss receiver is upstairs in the airing cupboard behind a load of pipes and has no problem receiving a signal from the stat which is downstairs on the other side of a brick wall. Distance in a straight line probably about 6 metres, the instructions say should work over 30 metres. I did check out the positioning first by powering up the receiver and sending from the stat BEFORE I did any system wiring, so I could have re-positioned the units - or returned them to the supplier - had they not been suitable.

Have you got wireless broadband? These often have signal strength meters which could give you an idea of best positioning.

Reply to
PM

Pretty good in our experience, even with thick walls in old houses.

It uses DECT - the same technology as cordless phones. Ours has better range than the phones do.

Reply to
hzatph

I have a CM67NG system which I normally have it about 3m away from the relay but with a single block wall plus the original external house wall which is

60cm thick triple solid stone (two cavities) in between and it works reliably. I've just tried it upstairs as far away from the relay as I can without braving the weather outside. This added about 11 metres and the ceiling/upstairs floor. Still okay but not an exhausive test.

Hope this helps. Phil

Reply to
Phil B

But you are replacing a timer with the relay box? I'm pretty sure it would be exempt.

Reply to
marvelus

The sender on my oil tank is 15 meters from the receiver, and has to go through a garage with cars in it and a wire mesh render wall or lead glazed windows. And a load of steel encrusted chimney breasts to get to ity. Seems to work OK.

Modern microwave stuff bends round most obstacles as long as there is a gap somewhere

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Replacing a wire link, which I suspect doesn't count :-) The timer is built-in to the boiler.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It sounds as though sourcing one at reasonable cost (all the ebay examples having abruptly disappeared) will be more difficult than getting it to work. DECT technology seems to have a far greater chance of working than Wi-Fi, if my experience is anything to go by.

Reply to
lairdy