Wireless mics and small PA for speaker meetings

Listed at £279.00 at the only dealer I could find it in stock at.

(a) Depends *how* you look at it. (b) Can't tell without listening.

This Maplin one does.

on special offer at £99.99 this week.

The more expensive one:-

two hand held microphones with it.

This one:-

with a headworn microphone and a lavalier, and is fairly good sounding for the price. The headset mic is uncomfortable, though

For speakers:-

don't know what they sound like. You may want two pairs, and run them turned down for better quality.

Reply to
John Williamson

Looks OK. Says it does channel 70 which, AIUI, remains legal for unlicensed use come 2012 - is that right?

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yes, Ch70(*) is "licence free" for type approved equipment. Fixed power output of 10mW for handhelds, 50mW for body packs, no tweaks or adjustments to Tx aerials (you can use high gain Rx aerials though) and 200kHz bandwidth.

(*) Not the whole channel mind, just 863.000 MHz to 865.000 MHz.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Audiophile equipment certainly isnt the norm for speech reinforcement. Any average 30w/channel home stereo should be adequate.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

What do you mean by audiophile? To me it often means, err, peculiar views like analogue sounding better than digital (as a principle) and expensive snake oil products like fancy wiring.

Perhaps you don't object to poor quality speech. But even the railways seem to have acknowledged decent quality helps at even a noisy station.

Depends on the size of the venue and the SPL required. Same as any PA system. The speakers don't need as good an LF response as would be ideal for music, though. That's about the only real saving.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pity you aren't closer.

Reply to
Huge

I sold a load of PA kit to a supermarket once - it was still being built and I worked for Rediffusion. It was a lovely setup - lots of small speakers, each not too loud but good even coverage.

Got over-ruled by their designer "who know about these things" and replaced the whole lot with half a dozen big speakers.

Predictable result - deafening or inaudible depending on where you stood. The complained about how bad it was so we went back and fitted almost exactly what I'd sold them in the first place.

Next project - blow me if the bugger didn't do the same all over again. Didn't bother me - I got paid to install it twice both times.

Reply to
Skipweasel

It only takes a modicum of common sense to know that lots of smaller speakers closer to the 'audience' than a few large ones will give the best results.

The only exception tends to be where the 'live' sound will still be heard (and seen, as it were) where the timing and direction are important. Like in a pop concert.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thorens, Dual, Shure V15, Quad, Leak, ESLs, honeycomb woofers, ribbon tweeters, etc. All well & good for a large broadcaster, but totally OTT for a bit of pub speech reinforcement.

No-one proposed poor quality kit, did they?

=A3100 budget... once a mic is bought there's nothing left. Home stereos are generally adequate and all you're likely to get for free. You might want a broadcast standard system, or a large PA with horn arrays, graphic eqs and so on, but I dont think thats going to work for the OP.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Broadcasters in general use pro equipment - not domestic. Something like a Quad ESL would be smoke in seconds in the average pro environment. A V15 broken the first time it was back tracked. Etc.

You suggested speech didn't matter.

The sort of home stereo you'd get for free would be useless for this application.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sure, I was just talking about sound quality standard. So say Stanton rather than Shure etc.

No, I'm saying you dont need broadcast standard kit for a basic low cost sound reinforcement setup.

Nonsense. I've used such kit several times, and the average mobile disco uses equipment of similar sound quality, albeit more ruggedised.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Its a bunch of pissed hippies in the back room of a pub

Well, you know what I mean (sounds like fun)

Not a bunch of audiophiles listening for a dip in spectral response

Reply to
geoff

You make it all sound so easy. However, most on here would probably like to provide something that works reasonably well - if their 'name' is on it. And just plonking in any old music centre obtained from the tip *will* be a recipe for disaster.

Broadcast speech is always treated to reduce the dynamic range. A mic straight into an amp not. So you either need to treat that mic output or provide a system with sufficient dynamic range. Otherwise it will sound awful.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try finding a mobile disco that uses compression.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Music is already compressed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

SOME music is already compressed.

Do mobile discos play music anymore though?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Anything a disco is likely to play is. But anyway just about every disco has far more power than a domestic music centre. And speakers designed for some abuse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only recorded music.

Reply to
Skipweasel

What other sort is played by a disco?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

the dj's speech isnt. Broadcast standard it may not be, but it works ok.

NT

Reply to
Tabby