Wire netting and strimmers, what do others do?

We have lots of rabbit fencing (and lots of rabbits) and I'm forever trying to come up with a practical way of strimming close up to the wire netting.

For short sections I have put tanalised timber boards either side of the fence at ground level and this works well but it's relatively expensive and not practical for long sections.

Has anyone here come up with a good solution to this problem?

Reply to
tinnews

Any of the Weedol, Roundup, type weed killers - just spray the 6" of ground at the base of the fences. I now buy it in bulk from the local agri-chem dealer for just this issue.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Increase the idle speed of the strimmer (If petrol) and strim as usual on a fast idle rather than full revs. Otherwise as someone else says Weedol it

Possible in some (many) places but not everywhere due to adjacent plants that I don't want to die.

Reply to
tinnews

Some of the current strimmers have a wire frame that can be folded down to limit how close you can get to an object - mainly aimed at trees and shrubs but would solve this problem too. I'm sure a simple add-on could be made to any existing strimmer.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

I use the missus, she holds a piece of hardboard against the fence and keeps moving along :)

Reply to
brass monkey

I do that when next door's fence goes green from lack of sun light. She goes the other side of the fence and I blast it with the pressure washer.

Never got a direct hit on her yet though :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave