wire for ch controler

I have a Randall SET 5 digital boiler timer and it has been moved to a cold place. At the moment, I am trying to get the CH to its optimum settings (time on, duration and time off) and I would like to bring the timer back into the utility room where the old floor standing one was. It has 2 separate cables joining it to the boiler, but for the life of me, I cant remember what sort of cable I used when I got it for the old boiler. 3 or 4 core. I would imagine that one cable is the mains feed and the other for boiler control.

Can anyone help.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:04:27 +0000 someone who may be Dave wrote this:-

Can you not take a look and check?

Reply to
David Hansen

Like these?

BigWallop

With the condition of my chest and general health, No :-( I would be out in the cold for too long. Wife is already asking me when I can do the job, but with all the coughing and lack of energy, I'm trying to set this up as a round tuit type of thing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

thats the stuff, it's just that I can't remember how many cores I installed when it was inside. I'll et the 5 core and stow any cores that are in excess. I didn't know there was a 5 core CH cable. Many thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've got 7 core running from my Keston to the controller. (Actually only needed 6 core -- I thought the switched live out was switched by the boiler on/off knob, but it's not and is directly connected to the live in.)

It was quite hard finding the proper cable. Found it in a local electronics shop eventually, having failed to find it anywhere online. Local electronics shop closed down shortly afterwards unfortunately.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The number of cores needed depends on what it's controlling, among other things.

For example, if the cable in question is also bringing mains to the programmer from a wiring centre, and if the programmer is controlling a Y-Plan system for CH and DHW, you'll need 6 cores:

  • L, N, E mains in
  • CH demand
  • DHW demand
  • DHW Off

If it's an S-Plan system with two spring return 2-port valves, you'll need only 5 cores. However, if the zone valves are fully motored (both ways), you'll need 7 cores.

Do you have a SET5 installation leaflet? I have one which shows lots of variations for different system configurations. I could scan it and email it to you if you confirm that your email address is genuine.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Tother week, I was using 65 core 1mm cable for lighting control. There were

32 individual light sets and we needed one return for neutral on the control panel indicator. I'm glad there was 65 cores to choose from, or I'd have been one short for the neutral :-)

The cheapest place for 7 core flex, that I can find anyway, is eBay.

didn't think I'd find eBay as the cheapest on this type of stuff.

Reply to
BigWallop

On 23 Nov 2008 22:55:57 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

is six cores plus protective conductor. Useful for controls and indicators.

Reply to
David Hansen

And what about the cpc?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It was only low voltage signaling to the contactors for the lighting. Is wasn't actually a neutral, it was zero volt return to the control panel for the indicators. It looks lovely all installed, though I say it mesen.

The cable was just over 4 inches in diameter, but incredibly easy to work with. A 10 yard and an 8 yard run was so simple to create with universal banding straps screwed to the walls above the false ceiling. Will definitely use the stuff again. Heavy weight though.

Reply to
BigWallop

Some where, that's why I asked on here first. I could end up tearing the house apart trying to find it. :-((

That would be great and many thanks for offering.

Yes, the e mail is valid

Dave

Reply to
Dave