Boiler/Timer Woes

Hi there

I have a Sunvic SP35 control box (timer?) attached to my Glowworm Economy central heating boiler.

I turned the SP35 off at the mains last night, and it's been off for about

24 hours. I've now turned it on again and the LCD is coming on, but it won't accept any input (such as trying to set the time, activate the boiler etc). Can anyone think about why this is? I've also tried leaving it for 10 minutes, and also re-lighting the boiler!

Sorry to sound so totally DIY dumb!

Tobes

Reply to
Tobin Harris

Additional info...

I tried changing the fuse, but with no difference. When the controller is off at the socket, the LCD panel dims, and when I turn it back on, the panel gets brighter/stronger. This suggests there is mains power getting to it, but the buttons aren't working!

Is there a way to reset the box?

Cheers,

Tobes

Reply to
Tobin Harris

Ok, hit the FAQ on the Sunvic website. It said to disconnect from battery pack.

So, removing front panel and reattaching seemed to reset it!

Reply to
Tobin Harris

at the socket, the LCD panel dims, and when I turn it back on, the panel gets brighter/stronger. This suggests there is mains power getting to it, but the buttons aren't working!

16 years later, but in case anyone out there still has this old Sunvic timer, the SP35, I've come across a problem.

It had been setting the automatic central heating up to three times per day, on and off, perfectly. However, then the electricity went off (I think not to do with this timer) one day, and since I can't get the timer to work.

It's to do with the Mode setting at the side of the digital timer. The mode allows you to switch between ways of using the heating - on continuously, automatically timed, on once (then not automatic after the next timed section ends), or off altogether.

The Mode is stuck on Auto, and it won't move. If I try to move it, the whole programmed set up of on and off times per day, and also the current day and time for the timer, resets - all to 12.00 am on Monday.

I should press Mode repeatedly to shift between the different modes in a circular pattern. But it is stuck and Mode, though shifts quickly to continuous and back to Auto, when it's resetting everything.

I'd be happy with the timer stuck at Auto, because what I want is to use the automatic timer. However, it's not bringing the timer on at the set times.

I've tried changing the batteries just now. This may be an entirely separate point, it probably is. There is a pull out slot for two AA batteries. I just changed them. It looked to me like they may not be touching a connection at one side, so I added a bit of aluminium foil to each battery as I've done many times before, and they both seemed to fit a lot more snug.

I just happened to pull the tray out again 10 minutes or so later, and these batteries were each as hot as a cooker hotplate. The Duracell plastic was molting off them, leaving just the extremely hot metal underneath. I used a plastic ruler quickly to wedge them out of the tray safely, and also the alu foil bits without touching that.

Safe again, but I've no idea what that is about. In any case, I think that the batteries are just to remember the programmed timings should the electricity go off unusually. This nearly never happens, so it wouldn't be a problem, and it's fine to reprogram the timer settings anyway if it would - it just takes a few minutes.

Whether or not that is related to that the timer just won't do the automatic timing function, I don't know.

If anyone has had this problem, or knows generally of why it might be with a timer such as this old digital style one, please post.

Reply to
LC B