Window out - French Doors in: Lintel Problem

I am replacing a sash window at the rear of my house with french doors. I have looked to see if there is a lintel and found (in common with the rest of my house) a concrete lintel that has been cast in-situ. Can I assume this is going to be ok or should I get a structural engineer to look at it. The lintel spans about 1.5 m.

Reply to
p.lavers

I have recently had this done to a rear dining room window that now has a patio door, and the existing lintel was left in place. If you are not widening the opening then as far as I am aware there is no need to replace the lintel. If you are widening the opening then that's a different matter.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

This is true but the problem you commonly find is that the window line is too high for the doors to look nice inside, where you want them the same hight (roughly) as the internal doors. This was the problem I found anyway. Mine had a timber lintel and I just installed a Catnic lintel underneath after the window had been knocked out, packed up to the original lintel and then carried on curtting the opening etc.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Fortunately height wasn't a problem with my patio door, it is the same height as the box sash frame that it replaced, and roughly the same height as the internal doors. We wanted the new opening to let in the maximum amount of air and light.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Reply to
p.lavers

You didn't say how big the "cast in situ" concrete lintel was. If it is at all substantial it will be taking the weight. The corbelling effect reduces the apparent load on such lintels. If you can shift the central strut easily, it ain't doing any support. If, on the other hand, it won't move......

Reply to
Bob Mannix

That's tricky. My understanding is that window frames should not be load bearing, except for bay windows which may include two pillars as part of the frame, but the presence of a large central strut is suspicious. Three suggestions:

1.) Post a photo on the web so that we can see the structure 2.) Take a photo or drawing to a reliable/trustworthy local builder and/or double glazing company (the surveyor, not salesman) and ask them if you were to have the conversion done would they also have to insert a bigger lintel 3.) Ask for a site visit and estimate
Reply to
Phil Anthropist

almost certainly be ok, though it probably wont meet new build regs, eg due to thermal bridging. Is there a specific reason to think its inadequate?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Reply to