Advice re converting window to french doors

I am thinking of converting a window into french doors. Is it simply a case of removing the bricks beneath the window (lintel above) then fitting french doors.

Is planning permission and building regs involved?

TIA

Reply to
Broadback

"Broadback" wrote | I am thinking of converting a window into french doors. Is it | simply a case of removing the bricks beneath the window (lintel | above) then fitting french doors. | Is planning permission and building regs involved?

Planning permission probably not required, unless you require permission for altering a listed building or in a conservation area.

Building regulations will be involved as you are creating a new entrance/exit and changing a window.

Whether you can use the existing lintel depends, if your house is fairly modern the existing lintel is probably adequate. If you have an old house the lintel might not be up to modern standards. You will probably need to uncover sufficient of the structure to see what sort of lintel you have so the BCO can not in approval.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'd agree with that. Have done a couple but in newer >1980 houses. Relatively easy job. Its important that the vertical dampcourse that is normal in door/window openings is extended all the way down.

Reply to
BillV

Is a lintel compulsory now then? Lots of very old houses dont have them.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

"N. Thornton" wrote | "Owain" wrote | > Whether you can use the existing lintel depends, if your house | > is fairly modern the existing lintel is probably adequate. | > If you have an old house the lintel might not be up to modern | > standards. You will probably need to uncover sufficient of the | > structure to see what sort of lintel you have so the BCO | > can not in approval. | Is a lintel compulsory now then?

Something performing the function of a lintel is required, even if it's not a lintel. I emagine a self-supporting arch would be acceptable (structurally if not aesthetically, I've never been keen on the Twee Medieval Munchkin look).

| Lots of very old houses dont have them.

Which is why you might have to fit one when you form a new doorway.

Owain

Reply to
Owain