Why do we have modesty panels on desks?

I just find they get in the way when trying to get at wires behind them.

Commander Kinsey

So you can't see the secretarys wings and know when she's on.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Because in the 1960s we had women wearing short skirts and open plan offices

Would you let your daughter work in an open plan office? 1968.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

No computers and 4 way extension leads to PAT that required you to have a quick look under the desk?

Reply to
ARW

They were for that to start with, but now of course, remove one and the desk falls to bits. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Not in 1968.

By 1977 they had A Computer.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

What's the point of hiring a sexy secretary if you can't see her bits?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If she was a prude she could put knickers on. Otherwise, good way to get a mate.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You actually do the tests? When I did PAT testing I just glanced at them. Not falling apart, probably ok, add sticker.

A contractor electrician once PAT tested and failed a 5V power supply due to an exposed *5 volt* wire, which he claimed was dangerous. I removed the red warning sticker, continued using it, and called him a moron. His response was something along the lines of "well I dunno, I just follow the instructions".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Actually probably all desks need it for support. A long piece of furniture needs some kind of support to keep it at right angles.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, it's so you can make a dramatic entrance.

Reply to
Max Demian

WTF? How is opening a door anything remotely like sitting at a desk?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Commander Kinsey

no it is to save the modesty of somebody in the room in a state of déshabillé

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

same purpose ...to save your modesty....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Blimey. That's rather more 029 card punches than I've ever seen in one room.

Reply to
Tim Streater

>> .jpg

I wasn't going to bother to look at that image, until someone mentioned card punches... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Boots were very proud of their "perforated metal ceilings, filled with a compound of fibreglass and asbestos" to absorb the noise ;-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

A sigh of the times also:

"Most of the noise from this department is absorbed by the ceilings perforated metal panels fitted with a compound of fibreglass and asbestos."

Reply to
John Rumm

Followed by:

"This absorbs and muffles the sound so effectively that it is impossible to hear a quiet conversation within a few feet."

Not that the noise from 30+ card punches would have affected the ability to hear "a quiet conversation within a few feet" at all. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice