Have solar panels got cheaper?

New solar farm being built near us, and I was interested to see three new build sites adjacent to westbound lane of M4 between Reading and Chippenham today.

Reply to
newshound

We have at least three very close to each other round here. A factor seems to be a suitable big 'subststion' close by, also used for the local wind farm. I guess that makes connection to the National Grid cheaper.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Domestic installs are less than half the price 4 years ago. Inverters are not much cheaper and labour is the same or a bit higher, so panels have dropped a lot in that time.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

and nastier, probably. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

After the beginning of April green field solar farms bigger than 5 MegaWatts (15-20 acres of panels) will not count towards the renewable energy obligations i.e. the subsidy will effectively drop. This may have something to do with the rush.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

That makes sense!

Reply to
newshound

And, as FIT has been reduced, the 'reduction' has a factor due to reduced profit(eering).

Reply to
PeterC