Fence Panels - Concrete slotted posts - replacing panels

I need to replace a couple of panels at my daughter's house this week - I'll be trying it single handed.

Any tips on how to get a panel up six feet to drop it in.

Reply to
John

You do what I did last weekend abd enlist a neighbour to give you a hand. Even that was pretty awkward. I can't think how you'd do it alone without substantial equpiment, as even if you can get the thing up 6 feet in the air, unless you slide it in exactly level it will jam in the slots.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I've done it, not too difficult, though I do lifting and manual work every day, so maybe I'd find it easier. The best thing is to lift it 4 or 5 feet high, then sit it on something, leaning against the post - a couple of wood offcuts of the right length would be good. Far easier then to lift it the foot or so to get it on the top. Once it is 8" or so in the slot, the jam it at an angle, it wont fall out then, and just lift the end that is jammed to get it a bit further down. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I have done it single handed, but its a right PITA. Did 6 panels by myself one day, knackered afterwards!

Two methods.

Get a ratchet strap around the panel vertically at the centre point, do it up fairly tight so the buckle is about 2' from the bottom of the panel. This gives you something to hold the panel.

Stick one end in the slot & lift the whole panel. As soon as the other end clears the edge of the slot, move it in & drop the panel a little. Its easy from now on, use the strap to keep the panel square.

Don't try it on a windy day!

If they are wany lap panels you can often 'spring' them in. Get one end in the slot & use a pry bar or two to get the other end in. Surprisingly the panels often have enough flexibility to put up with this as long as the tolerances are wide enough. Try it at ground level first, if no go, stand the panel on a workmate or something so its a few feet off the ground & try again.

Let us know how you get on :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

it is possible to do it alone, but not safely.

If you insist on going ahead, make sure you have steel toecap boots and wear several layers of clothing and sturdy gloves.

Reply to
Phil L

(a) rugby team (b) fork lift truck (c) small crane

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Make sure there's *no* wind.

Reply to
<me9

Watch that horrid utube vid first if you're not convinced by the other's commments to get help...

IT'S GROSS!

The kids round here spent an hour one sunday damaging some of the panels on the field. The council have been told it's very unsafe but as yet it's not been dealt with.

Reply to
mogga

Really excellent justice.

Reply to
John

2 guys and a scaffold platform
Reply to
BigGirlsBlouse

Panels arrived today - really heavy - the slats are about 100thick!

Managed to lift one onto adjacent shed roof and stopped to take stock. Might try and use overhanging branch and a rope to pull up the top edge with the bottom edge resting on the top of the posts. The trouble is it may bend the branch down and not leave me with enough clearance.

I may even end up partly dismantling the panel and fitting it in pieces.

Reply to
John

Sorry - 10mm thick

Reply to
John

Are they wany lap or feather edge?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Feather I think. Is wany where the bark edge is left - and usually horizontal? These are vertical 'planks'.

Reply to
John

Lidl have a hoist (block and tackle) all you then need is three poles to make something to hang the hoist off. Check the length of cord in the hoist as it may not be enough.

Reply to
dennis

Sound like FE. Forget what I said about lifting/springing them in.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And forget what I said about utilising safety equipment - I assumed you meant concrete panels, timber ones should take no longer than a minute each

Reply to
Phil L

I had hoped the idea might work - until I saw the panel - could build a good shed from them. Came from local corner DIY Shop.

Reply to
John