50mm fence posts and 40mm panels

Hi,

Looking at replacing the manky fence panels soon, and during my searches I found the common size fence panel is

40mm deep. My concrete posts have a 50mm recess.

Surely this will lead to rattling in the wind, but I can't find any spacers or brackets, or any mention of such things.

Am I wring in thinking this is going to be a problem? Some places only seem to stock 40mm panels, some don't mention depth at all.

Anyone had this issue before?

Mark

Reply to
Mark D

Andy Burns

I hvae 50 odd 40mm thick panels in slotted concrete posts....

The panels are also inherently liftable so I bought 200 odd fence panel grips, you use one in each corner and that stops the rattling and ne-er do wells from lifting the panel to gain access.

One issue I do find that the clips do eventually spring out onto the ground as the wood panels swell and shrink all the time according to the temperature and rainfall.

I fixed that by using a stapler to staple the fence clips to the wood panels.

S.

Reply to
SH

All these drop in panels rattle. I ended up buying a length of treated wood and making some blocks screwed up under the rails that fit in the slots so they tighten up the loose play in the panels, now I only had a few panels to do, but it could be a little annoying if there are many. You might wait and see which are the badly rattling ones and just wedge those. I just wish that fences had a method of stopping crooks just lifting them out. OK not easy with the big ones but possible with the normal between garden ones. Also if you are using gravel boards of concrete or work remember the hedgehogs and make holes every so often to let them get through. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

That's quick!

10mm is a reasonable clearance to allow you to hoist the panel up and get it into the channel.

Then, you just need to put a bit of timber in to stop it rattling. Maybe some scraps from the old panels? I suppose the fact that gizmos exist for this particular purpose is some indication that it's a common problem.

Reply to
GB

I must admit, when my neighbour fitted concrete posts and new panels, I waited until he was out and knocked in some small wooden wedges at the top ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Those look handy. Any preferences for the plastic or the metal spring version? Will the plastic eventually go floppy as it ages?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That was quick, thank you. I must have been searching for the wrong thing...

Reply to
Mark D

I got fed up with all the rattling, wear and tear, and occasionally one flying out in a gale.

I replaced them with 2 * 6 cut to length and then screwed vertical 2 * 2 (two per bay) to stop any rattling. Batten along between the 2 * 2 to create a trellis to tie shrubs to.

They are now painted cream and throw a lot of light back into the garden.

Hopefully they will last a long time. Also, hopefully, it should be relatively easy to take apart and replace individual pieces of 2 * 6 should there be rot or damage.

A quite neighbourhood, but I don't thing the average scally will be lifting any of those out.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

What about filling the gap with spray foam ?

Reply to
bilou

To prevent them being lifted some people have a galvanised wire stapled to all of the panels.

Reply to
JohnP