Cutting bits for 50mm spindle moulder

50mm would be rather substantial.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

30mm is a very common bore - called Euroblock, at least in the Axminster catalog.
Reply to
Grunff

HWMBO has just asked me to have a google for where to buy cutting bits for a spindle moulder, 50mm shaft, so that we can compare prices with the dealer we are meeting next week. I'm just about to do that, but does anyone have anywhere they can particularly recommend for such things, preferably somewhere that does mail order?

Also, does anyone by any chance know whether these bits would be banned by Ryanair in hand luggage??

-- Holly, in France. Holiday home in the Dordogne, website:

snipped-for-privacy@THIStiscali.fr

Reply to
Holly, in France

HWMBO?? Never come across that particular acronym before - not sure anyone else has ever had a use for it... :-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Perhaps in NGs which cater for those of, err, 'different' proclivities?

Richard ; -{ p Supposed to be a smiley of a moustached bloke winking with tongue out!

Reply to
Richard

Nope, have checked, definitely 50mm.

Yup :-)

Yes, that size is more easily available in the catalogs here in France too. The fact that 50mm seems harder to find suggests that it might well be more expensive, hence wanting to do the research in advance.

Holly

Holiday home in the Dordogne, website:

snipped-for-privacy@THIStiscali.fr

Reply to
Holly, in France

I think that this must be a substantial industrial sized one, Holly - the most common size in Europe is 30mm, even for quite large machines.

You could try contacting David Hudson at Whitehill Tools. They have

30mm standard tooling and a number of others as well and should be able to help you or suggest a source. 6 Union Street, Luton, Beds. LUI 3AN Tel: 01582 736881 Fax: 01582 488987 International tel: 00 44 1582 736881 e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@whitehill-tools.com

(there's an online catalogue.)

If you are buying cutters only, it's not only the size of the bore of the block that matters but the mountings for the cutters on the block. THey are normally located with a pin arrangement, so dimensions and spacings are needed.

One other thing to be aware of, is that if the machine is being used where people are employed, etc., then the cutter blocks should have provision for limiters. These are additional steel components, looking similar to the blades but not sharpened.

Details at

far as I know, this UK regulation is derived from an EU directive and there should therefore be an equivalent French regulation. Whether it's observed is another matter of course.......

You would have quite substantially heavy chunks of steel for cutter blocks for this size. They might be aluminium, but I doubt it, so this will be a weight issue.

In addition, if you are buying cutters, they are pretty sharp as delivered, and you will almost certainly be picked up with Xray at baggage screening, never mind Ryanair.

Definitely checkin items I would say whether you buy just cutters or complete blocks.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It would be, but not impossible at all - certainly not 5mm.

The common size for spindle moulder cutting blocks is 30mm in Europe, although I've seen 40mm a few times.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No idea I'm afraid. All the 50mm machines I've seen were made obsolete and illegal by the PUWER 98 regs that came into effect late last year - they've gone the way of the cast iron cutter block. (And they were probably 2" / 51mm anyway.)

There still are 50mm machines around, but these will be really serious brutes with soft electric braking. At the "light industrial" end of things the standard head is 30mm bore and there's nothing else in (legal) use.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Weeelll, what else can one use? I'm sure I have seen HWMBO used before. 'My husband' is a bit formal and boring, 'spouse' I can't stand, his name no one here knows so that means nothing. I could make up something like HWATHKWHITA but you would hardly guess what that meant.....

proclivities?

8-o - shocked woman with glasses, who can't wink!

:-)

Holly Holiday home in the Dordogne, website:

snipped-for-privacy@THIStiscali.fr

Reply to
Holly, in France

What about HWTHMBO?

Richard 8-)

who, in actual fact, sometimes wears glasses or contact lenses (no smiley symbol for that AFAIK) and, much to SWMBO's relief, no longer has a beard

Reply to
Richard

He Who Always Thinks He Knows What He Is Talking About

would be my first guess...

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Never heard of 50mm spindle moulder - I'd guess either its some sort of antique or a special purpose industrial machine. The most common is

30mm, and inch and quarter with older machines. You might have to have a block made up specially. Spindle moulder cutters are usually interchangeable bits of shaped steel blades held in a block by a clamping system. Once you have the block you can make your own cutters from blanks. There are also one piece solid cutters but these are very pricey and not worth it unless you have very long runs of the same profile.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

If we are talking about what I think we are - a square block that holds cutter blades, surely a man with a lathe and a mill can make one up?

Or indeed bore out a 30mm one...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ye Gods, right first time, well done!

Holly

Reply to
Holly, in France

That's much more like it!

Me too.

Something which symbolises runny eyes? :-)

HWTHMBO has one of those - is there a smiley for a beard?

Holly

Reply to
Holly, in France

"Holly, in France" wrote | Weeelll, what else can one use? I'm sure I have seen HWMBO used | before. | 'My husband' is a bit formal and boring, 'spouse' I can't stand, his | name no one here knows so that means nothing. I could make | up something like HWATHKWHITA but you would hardly guess | what that meant.....

XYM (ex young man) OG (old git) II ('im indoors) XHP (exotic house pet)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They're not square, and it's (quite rightly) illegal to use a square one.

Of course you could make one - but the tooling to do so is fairly complex and you'd have to be aware first of all of things like _why_ you can't have a square one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Would you mind awfully explaining in words of one syllable what it is you're talking about for those of us with insatiable curiousity and no knowledge of woodworking whatsoever?

Reply to
Huge

:)> From

but I think it should be :-)> Also, that might only be a 'chin' beard - very French. A full set might be :- or :-{)> or :-{)} but none are very clear. I wonder how they would look converted to HTML from plain text.

This is a runny nose :--) Couldn't find a symbol for runny eyes

Used to own a beard until SW_R_MBO decided that she was not marrying a bloke with a striped (dark brown and white) beard and niece took to calling me (when out of reach) Badger Beard! It occasionally reappears during what passes for the winter now.

Richard :-? which is what, do you think?

Reply to
Richard