Why do people clear their driveways of snow?

So we had 2-3 inches of snow today. Why on earth do people spend an hour clearing their drive, just to make it take 5 seconds instead of 10 to get the car out?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

clearing their drive, just to make it take 5 seconds instead of 10 to get the car out?

on Alzheimer's research. This means that by 2040, there should be a large e lderly population with perky boobs and huge erections and absolutely no rec ollection of what to do with them.

If more snow falls they mayn't get out at all if they haven't cleared the f irst lot.

Reply to
harry

There appears to be a good legal reason not to clear it. When you clear a driveway of snow you are accepting responsibility for keeping it clear to enable safe access over it. If someone consequently slips on it and is injured then they may have a claim against you. On the other hand, if you've made no effort to clear the way then the onus is on them to take care. Or so I'm told. :)

Reply to
mick
[16 lines snipped]

Wrongly.

Reply to
Huge

So they can dump their snow on your drive and presumably make you happy?

Reply to
Graham.

I saw someone today shovelling his pavement clean, pushing it onto the road. I waited until he went inside, then drove over the snow fairly quickly, splattering it back where it was.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

He was obstructing the road.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You have known the answer for years.

Mr Pounder Esquire

I like to have a laugh at the expense of others. That is not a disability.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And a cleared driveway becomes way more slippery than if left alone.

Reply to
Dave W

Not if you drive your car over it a few times.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

TO GET OUT MY PUSH ROD.

Simon Mason

Because once driven on it becomes hard packed and very slippery.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I don't clear it, but then I always worry that postman plod is going to fall over and sue me.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Bizarrely, the law is such that if you don't clear the snow and he slips, you're held to be blameless, but if you clear it incompletely and he slips, you are held to be negligent. Law=Ass.

Reply to
NY

I doubt that would happen unless it could be proved that the clearing caused the slip which might be difficult.

Reply to
whisky-dave

but there are plenty of no win no fee lawyers about.

Over 50 years ago, my mother was on a jury in a slip case which happened outside a fishmongers. Did the perosn slip because of a bit of fish skin on the pavement - as the victim alleged - or was it on a cherry stone - dropped by a passer-by? I think the case took 3 days, but I have no idea about the verdict.

Reply to
charles

I thought this was shown to be a wrong interpretation some time ago?

Reply to
mechanic

Reply to
Huge