Why did warm air central heating go out of fashion?

A politician doesn't need to be an expert in his own right. Just know who to take advice from.

Of course Brexiteers made a big point about not listening to experts. Hence the much bigger mess we're in over Covid. With the Brexit mess yet to come.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not to mention that AC does mote than just cool - it also lowers RH which can make a big difference to comfort levels, especially in a typical hot wet UK summer.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think my son's electricity costs in Northern Sweden were quite hefty. But it is either electricity or wood burning - the Swedes don't seem to do Gas or Oil heating. It makes it pay to buy super efficient equipment and have the house well insulated.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

Yes, underfloor heating, and _electric_ heated air taken by ducts around the house and ducts taking stale air back, where heat exchanges extract the heat. My son's house in northern Sweden had both and seemed very typical.

His prebuilt flat pack house came with the air ducts built into the walls all ready to join up. He laid the underfloow heating on the ground floor himself, and got a professional electrician to check it over and connect up. I understand they are as strict with electrical work as UK is with gas.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

Having lived in a house which was built with warm air heating, but at some point replaced with a radiator system, these are my observations:

There was a lot of asbestos involved! The whole boiler cupboard had asbestos dividers.

The remnant ducting was impossible to remove without major works.

There were vents all over the place. Annoying, unattractive. I ended up removing many of the actual vents, stuffing the holes and plastering over. (Not "real" plastering - repair.)

The ducting and things like vents in doors, or gaps under doors, can result in noise getting everywhere. Music in one room can become audible everywhere.

But underfloor heating is not the answer. While I would be happy enough with very mildly warmed floors, those who suffer from burning feet (however caused) would run a million miles - if they could run at all. They are a special form of torture to such sufferers.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Oh do 'shut the f*ck up'.

Reply to
soup

And this is why you don't want an AC system which is "over-capacity".

A high capacity system drops air temperature rapidly. Once the air gets to around 22C or so, you don't want to go lower so that the AC won't be damaged at the coil (freeze up).

If you drop the capacity of the system, there is sufficient time for the dehumidification effect to take place.

On my current system, when it was new, it would remove a summers-day of heat in 3 hours. This is too fast. The air would feel clammy (still has moisture).

Now that the machine has aged, it takes 7 hours this year to do the same thing. Now the household RH drops to 40% or so, and the air is both dry and cool at the end of the process.

The trick then, is to estimate the capacity required, but also compensate for the aging effects on the equipment. The newer systems seem to be pigs in this regard (big performance drop after being new). Refilling them with R134, doesn't seem to help all that much. (The refilling process just does not seem to be good for the equipment - the compressor is running while the technician weighs in a charge. The pressures on either side of the compressor are checked to determine when sufficient material is inside the unit.)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

A typical Brexiteer answer to everything. Thanks for confirming it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

If your house is well insulated then UFH floor temps will seldom exceed

30°C except where covered up. Where you wont be walking on them anyway.

At full winter pelt, my floors are only warm to the touch under the sofas and the rugs. Stuff that is directly exposed to the air is barely warm at all. Except where I have ALL the house UFH pipes running down one short corridor. THAT is a bit warm. But never HOT. I think you don't appreciate the difference between a square meter of radiator at 50°C and 30 sq m of floor at 30°C..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Modern inverter based systems can help here, since they can change the compressor speed to in effect lower the power of the unit to better match the actual demands.

Reply to
John Rumm

This house is pretty well insulated.

But what you seem not to appreciate is the extreme sensitivity that some people have.

She will often go to the kitchen in order to cool her feet down. Whether on the porcelain flooring or using a bowl of cold water. Even when the rest of her feels cool/cold.

30C would be far too high.
Reply to
polygonum_on_google

There's one fatal flaw with that idea. If you're not an expert you really don't know who to listen to.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

After the Ronan point explosion, gas was not allowed in blocks of flats over a certain height.

Reply to
Andrew

You listen to the person that pays you ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

It's called good management. Knowing who to listen to.

Unless you expect every CEO to be familiar with every single aspect of his company.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yup. And it often fails. Some subjects it's easy, things are as they first appear. Some subjects are the opposite, on those people are much more likely to pick the wrong 'expert' the one that reflects their initial assumptions.

Unlikely. But they'd better know as much as poss, business failure rates are high. And I've run into enough situations where not knowing a subject relevant to one's business could be a business ender or a big risk. Anyone can get into business, most don't survive it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr