Electric warm air heating

Sorry - can't think of anywhere else to ask this....

My old mum has just moved in a retirement flat which has electric warm air heating. I've only ever known gas warm air heating, which I think is relatively cheap to run and heats the room up pretty fast. Does anybody have any experience in electric warm air heating? Is it more expensive to run and is the heat as instant?

Reply to
Mitchum

Should heat up quite fast (might not be quite as fast as a gas unit as it's likely to be lower power rating). It's probably more expensive, unless it uses an off-peak heat store and recovers the heat from that as and when needed. Is this a central unit (and if so, how big), or is the flat just fitted with individual fan heaters? GEC used to make an electric central heating warm air heatstore. It was a large concrete unit which was buried under the house and heated with off-peak electricity. When heat was required in the house, air was blown through channels in the concrete mass and ducted around the house.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for that. This one occupies a full floor to ceiling cupboard in a the centre of the flat. It stands on a huge concrete slab. The flat has dual rate electricity.

Reply to
Mitchum