Who runs my services?

Just about to move to a new home. I can't see who supplies the leccy but it looks like my present meter key will fit the present meter there. Am I alright to top up until the company supply a new key or I change suppliers?

Anyone got a favourite company to control their gas and electricity?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

As they all use the same meters and keys, physically, it will fit. The codes transmitted from the key to the meter need to be correct for the supplier. You need to talk to the previous occupant to find out who currently supplies the power, and you can then get a key to suit. There is normally a minimum of a month with the old supplier before you can change to your preferred one, and the keys and meters are normally paired, unless nPower were telling me lies a while ago.

From their reputation on various groups and personal experience, *not* British Gas.

Reply to
John Williamson

There are apparently numbers you can ring to find out the supplier:

When I was with them they were fine (I moved cos I got a better deal elsewhere at the time. For quite a while they were the cheapest supplier for us.)

But then I think all the big players seem much of muchness. Currently with Scottish Power. Have been with them before and Npower, all were fine.

I'd start with who was cheapest and work from there.

Reply to
chris French

What he said.

Reply to
Huge

If you're a low user, or currently on a prepayment meter, you might like to look at Ebico:

Terry Fields

Ebico's good for both fair tariff and CS. The prices went up recently so I jumped ship to a 4-year fix with EDF (gawdelpme!). It's £3 pcm more than Ebico's old tariff (but that went up by about 10%, so already more than EDF).

Reply to
PeterC

Not Scottish Power. After the first time, I said I wouldn't use them a again. But I did. And I shouldn't have...

electricity?

Been with Scottish Poower, no problems but then I don't think I've had any problems with any supplier. Southern, who do the billing for Ebico, produced a really interesting sequence of bills at one point but there was nothing wrong as far as amounts were concerned, just rather confusing.

Currently with NPower (Fixed 'tll April 15), iSupply Energy (Fixed 'till May '14) and EDF (fixed 'till Feb 15 and E7).

This reminds me I must check what address these suppliers have on record for each MPAN number. Found out when switching suppliers last time that the MPAN address on some doesn't match our address (they should) and this caused the online switching application to refuse to work...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Am I glad I don't have one of those key meter thingys. Sounds like on 'ell of a faff. Can't you have a normal meter like solvent folk?

Philip

Reply to
philipuk