White blown vinyl: need to paint over?

I've been looking for some thick wallpaper for my kitchen.

In B&Q they have quite a few white blown-vinyl paintable wallpapers that will do the trick.

Question: Are you supposed to emulsion over these papers once they are put up? Or do they look OK "au naturel"? I am looking for a white wallpaper, ideally I wouldn't want the extra work of painting.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

They look better painted IMHO, although they are still OK if you don't.

If you are not planning to paint, then make sure you get rolls from the same batch number because even plain white can have a marked variation. I discovered this to my cost once - we had some paper stored ready for use and a couple of rolls got damaged (leaking cold water tank!) and needed to be replaced. When we put then up there was a slightly different quality to some strips that was at first hard to pin down, noticeable more in some lights than others. It was only when inspecting the room with a UV security torch that the reason became obvious, the original rolls were finished in a UV reflective dye (to give them more "whiteness" one presumes) and the replaements either were not.

Reply to
John Rumm

They do a lining paper specifically for painting over, which is also a blown vinyl (although it doesn't say so). Virtually no design, just ever so slightly textured. Looks fine without the paint and has decent water resistance compared to standard lining paper.

Reply to
Stuart Noble