Where to buy old fashioned light switch screws.

Have kust decorated a bedroom (well, I did first and second fix on the

13A sockets, and SWMBO did the painting).

And I am now wishing i'd replaced the backbox for the light switch as it takes the olde fashioned type of screws, and I don't have any.

Does anyone lknow where I could buy a pair or two?

CEF?

Screwfix?

Any other suggestions?

Also,

What should I ask for?

TIA

Chris

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Old fashioned? I thought they had been metric for many years. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

to suggest 5BA, I thought there used to be a die available that would re-cut an M3.5 accessory screw to fit the old type?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The old ones were 4BA if that's any help. If you are stuck, use self tapping screws.

Reply to
harry

They are 4 BA - but the chances of finding raised head chrome or whatever might be slim. Why not simply re-tap the threads in the back box to take the current 3.5mm metric types? Think I've seen a tool (somewhat like a screwdriver) designed for just this purpose, if you don't have a tap and die set.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Think I've seen a tool (somewhat like a

Sold by TLC:

crb

As harry said you can also use self tappers, but it always looks wrong as t= he heads dont match, and typically aren't quite the right width.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

heads dont match, and typically aren't quite the right width.

It's a No6 x 1" or 1.5" countersunk self tapper wot does it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

More commonly done the other way round - there is a tap available from most electrical wholesalers for retapping old backboxes etc for m3.5 screws.

e.g.

John Rumm