Where to buy long lengths of square elastic (not the covered dressmaking type)?

I'm after some long (i.e.several metres) lengths of elastic. They're for an old Kum-Bak tennis trainer where the ball is suspended on a length of elastic.

The ideal is plain square (I suppose round would be OK too, but the original is square) 'naked' elestic which is about 1.5 or 2mm square.

I can find lots of sellers of thicker, shorter elastic for catapults but not anyone selling this thin in long lengths.

I can obviously make do with dressmaking elastic with a woven sheath but the original stuff would be better I think.

Any ideas anyone?

Reply to
Chris Green

Just possibly ... Aeromodelling suppliers? They would have to supply parts for rubber-powered models though ... not sure how popular they are nowadays

J^n

Reply to
jkn

The core of bungey cord, from yacht chandlers if a very long length required, not particularly even sections of each cord though

Reply to
N_Cook

The Kum Bak elastic was rather different from aeromodelling grade rubber.

You might find 1/16" rubber strip suits

The Natural Philosopher

Or just eBay (bungee or shock cord); no need to pay the mark-up at chandlers, which is a bit like the mark-up on horse stuff.

Reply to
newshound

But not as bad as camping shops.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Catapult rubber? Or is this just my misspent youth? eBay offers 2m lengths at first peek.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

See above, I've found that but it's too thick.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, I was thinking of Mike Woodhouse's site but didn't look it up. I see he is close to 80 now - probably 40+ years since I first bought some bits from him...

Reply to
jkn

Model aircraft rubber ? Quite hard to find these days in the days of cheap (and light) electric motors and batteries

Reply to
soup

Do people still make the rubbery stuff we used to use in model aircraft powered by rubber bands? You used to be able to get whole reels of the stuff and use as many loops as you liked, smear it in preserving oil and off you went. I wonder how you measure elastic? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

How do you attach the ball, the ones I saw had the ball with a hole in it and it was threaded through the middle and knotted, but when I tried to drill into a tennis ball some years ago to make a kind of fender, there was a gooey liquid inside. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The ball has a sewn on little loop, I've bought some more similar from 'modern' tennis trainers which are just about exactly the same so they'll do well for ball replacement.

Reply to
Chris Green