Where can I buy Corian - or similar solid surface - sheets?

AIUI Corian is difficult to find on sale as sheets, rather than made up into worktops by corian-appointed agents.

There is one ebay supplier selling odd sheets of another similar solid- surface sheet product:

other suppliers you know of?

(I've had a good read of the Corian * other manufacturers tech data for making-up/working/finishing, and that's not a problem - just one of supply!)

Reply to
dom

> Any other suppliers you know of?

Search for formica, there's tons of the stuff about, never heard of corian

Reply to
Phil L

Formica is a brand of thin melamine sheet - the traditional stuff of kitchen worktops.

Corian is much thicker, usually 12 mm, and is a resin sheet made up with powdered mineral. Used in much the same way - but the results more closely resemble solid stone worktops.

But its also used for things like shower enclosures - and particularly in hotel bathrooms, often with washbasins integrated into a seamless continuous surface.

Reply to
dom

Officially it's impossible. Du Pont are even pissy about where the waste offcuts go, and making sure that none of them end up in the hands of evil woodturners to make pens out of.

OTOH, Corian hasn't been the only game in town for some years now and the other brands are much less fussy. Most of it's The Other Brand (sheets are in the shed, but I've forgotten the name). I bet the eBay stuff isn't Corian, but you'll be hard-pressed to tell them apart. Watch out for signage grade though, as there are grades for making high-end outdoor signs that don't have anything like as much mineral content as the countertop grades and are far softer and risky for heat damage. The top of my waterproof sharpening bench has our old office address carved in the underside, following an office move and some skip-diving.

I don't know any Corian installers, but I do know two separate ex- Corian installers who got fed up of Du Pont's attitude and switched suppliers.

It's not hard to work it and you don't need to go on the course, but you do need to study the instructions, practice on scrap first and most of all, use the right tools and materials. These do make a difference. If you go to a posh restaurant in Bristol there's a vastly pretentious washbasin rig in the toilets and great big scored rings around all the basins where someone used a bearing-guided cutter with a hard bearing, not a proper soft bearing (more likely, they used a favourite bodge of wrapped insulation tape around it - which doesn't work on tapered basins, as the edge cuts through).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Anybody know the brand name(s) of the alternatives? I'm nowhere near a 'shed' so it would be good to look them up online if possible.

Thanks, Neil

Reply to
Logie

Good grief! You'd get a few pens out of this stash

Anybody know the brand name(s) of the alternatives?

Meganite, Marlan, LivingStone, DuraSolid, Avonite, Velstone etc

Reply to
Andy Burns

Excellent! - thanks for that.

Reply to
Logie

the advert you will find that you are only bidding on a random ten out of that pile.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Go to solidsurface.com for all the DIY info and sheet stock and overstock you could dream of. Not only Corian, but other suppliers too.

Gary DIY'er

Reply to
bertible

But not a date reader, it seems, and Tucson, Arizona is rather a long way to go from the UK just to get some Corian.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

...and clueless spammer.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Does that free shipping include transatlantic orders?

Reply to
Andy Burns

And time machine?

Reply to