Where can I buy 5" (130mm) Plastic Ducting?

I have just bought a small/cheap air conditioner (8000BTU - =A3143 from Focus).

It seems fine, but like all of these units, the exhaust hose is too short making it almost impossible to get out of my top-opening windows.

I am having problems locating a supplier of 5" ducting.. All that I have found have been the 'aluminium foil' type.

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy 3m of Flexible Plastic ducting?

Jon

Reply to
jon.p.weaver

I've got a packet which I think came from B&Q ~4 years ago. It's made by Marley. It's 125mm x 2.5m, and came with 2 hose clips.

Bare in mind these air conditioners barely work at all (because they are sucking in a large amount of warm air from outdoors), and this hose gets damn hot, so you really don't want any significant length of it in the room, defeating what little cooling you might get out of the unit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Most manufacturers specifically forbid extending the supplied hose because of performance issues. Does yours have a help line? Not sure if the Marley one referred to is the sort used for cooker hoodextraction; that sort is definitely NOT suitable.

Exhaust from AirCon unit far too hot for it.

Reply to
Gel

Intended for cooker hoods and tumble driers, it says.

I have used it on an air conditioner, but that was on the inlet to the condensor, which I modified to also be coupled by hose to the outside.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I bought mine from Homebase a couple of years ago for £199 ;-)

I used one at work and was able to make a wooden filler strip with a hole through it for the exhause pipe that I could fit nice and low under the sash window.

I have seen that (white plastic) stuff in Homebase (not sure of the diameter though).

I was thinking of 'extending' my aircon (split system) and need to get some of that riged rectangular platic trunking they use for tumble dryers etc but cheaper than Homebase / B&Q etc?

I have a small box room and partly joins a middle (bed / junk / aircon) room then our bedroom.

The split system is plumbed in through a hole I core drilled through the 9" rear wall for a balanced flue gas fire (but never fitted).

The unit is quite quiet and efficient (it turns the middle room into a fridge pretty quickly) but not approriate for the front or rear rooms (hence currently in the middle).

As the middle room is (sorta) unused I thought of using it as a form of 'cold store' by shutting the room door and then adding some ducting to 'plumb' the cold air into the adjacent rooms?

Trunking up the wall of the middle room front room coming from low down (coldest air), through the partition (stud / brick) joining wall and out via a louvered vent up over the bed area in the front room. I may alo fit a return vent / path between the rooms for the returning air? I repeat with the back room. I even thought of fitting those 90 deg rectangular to round flex fittings to the ends of the trunking in the middle room and that could take a low voltage (PC style) fan to force the cold air through (whilst keeping the noise away from the bedrooms)?

I did try a similar experiment last year by separating the upper 3 rooms from the rest of the house with plastic sheeting and leaving the bedroom (& aircon room) doors open .. it worked very well .. as you realised when you went through the sheet to the rest of the house in the morning! (phew).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

TLC also do a range of various types:

Bare in mind these air conditioners barely work at all (because

While I am fully aware of their limitations, I think you are being perhaps a little too harsh on them! I have one in my office (10' x 12' room) that will drop the temperature (and as importantly the humidity) enough to make the room habitable. On the worst days, with just a couple of PCs on it can be pushing low 30s in there. The AC will drop it to 23

- 24.

Reply to
John Rumm

I feared that this might be the case.. But I have no choice.. I live in a new house which only has 'top-openers'.. Other than knocking 5" holes through the wall, there is no way that I can get the hose outside..

I actually bought it because of its 'mobile' claim, so I want the ability to put it in ANY room, so want the hose long enough to get out of any windows.. I don't need to be much longer.. Perhaps 12" max.

I am tempted to make a permenant installation in the conservatory (using some kind of flue). But I have a fear that its not going to work out there anyway, as its just not got the grunt to make any impact the raging temperatures found when the sun is beaming down.

I have tried to call the help line, but the recorded message says that "all operators are busy".. I have to keep trying, but I am loosing patience fast!!

Jon

Reply to
jon.p.weaver

I spent a couple of hours on Tuesday cutting a 4" hole through the wall with a core borer. Bloody hard bricks; took about 90 minutes to go through the outer wall (with lots of stops for cold drinks, admittedly), and then about

2 seconds to go through the inner wall thermal blocks ;-)
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Put it on a table or stool?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Screwfix items 15061 and 10684 might do the job, but you'd have to figure out some way of supporting the assembly.

Reply to
Rob Morley