Where can I buy ducting wall cap?

I give up!! I just need an 8 inch diameter duct wall cap cover with NO damper built in that will accept the male mating surface of the 8 inch diameter right angle elbow going into it. Again, NO DAMPER, just the flush exterior cover over the standard anti bird screening. Probably flashing to mount to the sheathing material of the wall.

Not at Home Depot. Home Depot carries the 8 inch diameter ducting, the

8 inch diameter 90 deg elbow, but NOT WALL CAPS?!

Not at Lowes. Lowes carries an 8 inch cap, but found out that is a metal termination, not a wall cap.

Searches on google keeps coming up with models that have built in dampers; don't want that type; the damper is built into the range hood.

The range hood with fan hangs above the cooking surface on the exterior wall. Its 8 inch diameter duct goes straight up. Then Home Depot's right angle turns 90 degrees to the wall and the male part [1 inch long fluting] of the elbow just reaches past the interior wall surface [as it should]

Just need to go that remaining short distance into an 8 inch wall cap.

There was an unconnected 7 inch diameter wall cap mounted into the exterior wall [in the wrong place] that had its female mounting surface flush with the interior surface. This suggests that *if* I can find an 8 inch wall cap of similar depth , all will work out perfectly. But, haven't found one yet!

Help.

Reply to
Robert Macy

You might have to neck down the 8 in to 7 in and use the 7 in cap. Have you tried a large-scale hardware place like Grainger?

Reply to
hrhofmann

might try plumbing (hvac) places

Reply to
a2rjh

no room for the neck down, again the elbow turns, and inserts slightly INTO the wall; the wall cap is thick so that its edge is almost flush with the interior wall.

that means that *IF* the wall cap were 8 inch; I'd be done

Reply to
Robert Macy

If I purchased a damper, I'd leave it in. However, the damper is a useless gravity held shut flap [well not really, when closed, gravity applies no force whatsoever to hold it shut.] But worst of all, these damper assemblies have the ugliest contraption sticking out. Don't want something so ugly mounted just above head height on the outside of my home.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Grainger configured some type of whiz bang unit, but have never continued discussion past the point of saying they can do it!

I don't know if it's the state I'm in, Arizona - bigger weasel state that Califronia for having its citizens NOT ever do what they volunteer to do for you; or the order is just too small to mess with. $90 is not much to make much effort over, but they definitely have lost any future work from me. And, definitely a ding to their reputation from posting this conversation in public.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Robert Macy wrote the following on 7/27/2012 9:22 PM (ET):

one down.

Reply to
willshak

thank you for the URL. I had found this one, but....

it HAS a damper of very poor design, and as a result has that ugly extension sticking out of the wall, haning on the outside of my home. That is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

By poor design I mean that when their damper is closed, there is ABSOLUTELY no force trying to maintain it being closed! Yet, as the damper opens it takes more and more force to keep it open because the cantilevered weight of the flap increases. Move the damper flap back inside the wall a bit, use a small cantilevered weight to maintain positve closing pressure and have that weight positioned so that as the vent opens it is easier to maintain it open and I'll buy it! Right now, just flush mount the exterior grill is all I need.

Reply to
Robert Macy

But if the exterior cover is flush with the wall, there is no place for the air to get out, or do you mean you just want a grilled cover, with no rain protection???

Reply to
hrhofmann

Check this site out to see if their offerings might satisfy your requirements.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Maybe he's installing it in a protected location?

Reply to
DD_BobK

these are pretty simple

DD_BobK

Flush is a relattive term here. The wall is over 10 feet tall, along , so a louvered plastic cover [with the louvers keeping out rain] that sticks out 3/8 inch pretty much 'looks' flush along the side of the house.for about 100 feet - on side where pool would go..

Reply to
Robert Macy

I'm lumping my replies to your three posts here...

Thank you for specific URLs, I'll call LuxuryMetal to see if they have what I need. the first one have that ugly slope to them sticking out of the wal. the second one is closer, but even mounted slightly down under an eve side blowing rain can get in, plus with no louvered type cover grill it's ugly to look inside it is slightly protected but still should have a visual block and a slant rain block.

Reply to
Robert Macy