Air conditioner ducting.

As mentioned in a post above we have one of those air conditioners that has a flexible exhaust hose, very much like a large vacuum cleaner hose.

For various reasons we can't duct the exhaust through the wall and putting it through the window is a bit of a pig as you obviously need to plug all the gaps (the design of our windows makes this difficult) and we need to be able to shut the windowns when we go away.

What I'd like to do is install ducting in the loft to handle the exhaust with a 'connector' on the ceiling into which the aircon hose will fit.

However, I have been unable to track down such a fitting. Has anyone seen a push fit (Or bayonet) fitting suitable for an aircon hose, that could be ceiling (Or wall) mounted?

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Before you start the job, check the product manual to ensure that it is ok to extend the duct, some don't recommend it, I suppose it could be because it would impede the exhaust flow causing the unit to overheat?.

Dave

Reply to
logized

That should be a problem as it's a real short length of duct.

Reply to
sPoNiX

Not the answer you want, but given the lengths you're prepared to go to, have you considered installing a split system? This will be more efficient and quieter, and permanently installed.

If you want to go for the original approach, what diameter is the aircon hose?

Reply to
Grunff

It only need to be used in one room at a time but movable from room to room. A split system is too expensive to justify at the moment.

Ummm 4"/10cm from memory

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

You could use standard 100mm duct fittings (e.g. Screwfix), and make a simple baynnet fitting by putting a couple of round head machine screws in the sides of the male part (ouch!) and suitable slots in the sides of the female part.

Reply to
Grunff

Hadn't thought of making the fitting..just hoped there was an off the shelf version.

I'll give it some thought..

sPoNIX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Some of these air con units are not happy having the hose go up for any length as water condenses when cool (and when starting) and runs back into the unit or as in the case of my friends, attempting to vent out a skylight, leaks out the pipe and floods the floor. If run horizontal'ish it was fine. Ended up "doing a proper job" of having holes put in wall to vent.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

If you do make one, the male part is easy enough. To cut the slots in the female part, I'd use a rotozip type tool. Draw the shape of the slots with a felt tip, then cut. Cutting should take a couple of minutes given how soft abs is.

Reply to
Grunff

Just wait until August. You'll regret being so cheap.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

just loose weight. very cheap as no small food bills.

Reply to
IMM