When did the plural form of verbs become obsolete?

You may be interested in a US perspective on British Engish

As I age, I notice some oddities creeping into "English" that are I suspect imports. Two examples:

1) are bands plural or singular ? I've always used the plural : "The Beatles *were* an English pop band" as opposed to *was* an English pop band. (Wikipedia is especially annoying for this). 2) in England, things are named *after* someone. Not "for" someone - that's Yankee all the way (as the NOOB blog notes).

If nothing else, the NOOB blog is fun when the Yanks get a Briticism wrong.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

One of the hidden gems in "Mock the Week" is hearing the "h" in "Wheel" when Dara says it ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It's better than saying "cool hwhip".

Reply to
Andy Burns

"So" has supplanted "Well" at the start of a sentence.

Reply to
Peter Duncanson [BrE

This is the point. Unless a collective noun has all its members acting in total unison, it's plural. The police is not looking for a man in his

30s, some of the police *are* looking, not all of them.

The default these days is the singular form of the verb. It's significant that you are the *only* poster who even knew to what I was referring...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

With a brief side trip to "Basically"....r

Reply to
RH Draney

:)

For a techie my English is stellar. As is my spelling and handwriting.

But then I did Latin at (comp) school, and there's rarely a day when it isn't useful. (I would have been able to understand the Popes resignation as it was read too). As a tooklit for picking other European languages apart, it's indispensable.

For a while I had my homepage at work set to the French MSN site.

(I've also picked up some Hindi).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

There was a law that came out in the sixties called 'insulting behaviour' because in those days the police were classed as (non persons) and were supposed to be impervious to insults, but the lawmakers got fed up with Teddy Boys giving them a mouthful.

Reply to
jon

Those are not examples of what I mean. I mean "so" when used by some tv and radio interviewees as the first word of their reply to a question.

For example an interviewer may ask, "Why has the economy slumped?"

The reply is, "So, there's been a lot of inflation ..."

Reply to
Pamela

Reply to
Richard

A sideboard could be a number of different things, like a dresser or a chest of draws, but it was not generally a radiogram.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Now a great many years ago, I was in the hotel bar on one of the Western Isles, talking to the Parish Priest. As somebody new came into thenbar he acalled our 2 Hamish - why do we only ever meet in this bar?" This presumably meant "why aren't you in church on Sundays?"

Reply to
charles

I've been reading quite a bit during lockdown, and it seems that even book editors don't know the language. I've seen references to laundry 'shoots', door 'jams', 'discrete' being used where 'discreet' is meant, site, cite, sight, being misused. Perhaps I shouldn't be blaming book editors. They probably are an endangered species, with writers depending on spell-check, which can result in correct spelling - of the wrong word.

Reply to
S Viemeister

To which the response is 'Absolutely!'...

Reply to
S Viemeister

My mother would have threatened me with a damp dish towel if I'd mispronounced that word - or wheel, or whip, or when, or what, or where.

Reply to
S Viemeister

^^^^^ or even: drawers

Reply to
charles

I still remember Brian Clough - 'We-e-e-ll, D-a-a-a-a-vid'.

Reply to
Scott

Or as the late Brian Walden said,' Bicycle-lly'.

Reply to
Scott

Were the draws in a drawer?

Reply to