When (i.e.which edition of regs) did RCD protection start?

I'm trying to guestimate how long ago the consumer unit at my daughter's house was installed. It's a Crabtree Starbreaker (which if course is a brand/model that has been around and changed a lot over the years), it just has a 100A main switch and MCBs, no RCDs at all.

It's obviously been installed as an upgrade to an old installation. Would it have to conform to current regulations at the time or could the installer have got away with conforming to the original regs?

Anyway, when was protection of socket circuits with RCDs brought in?

Reply to
cl

IIUC the 15th edition (1981) introduced the concept of the "whole house" RCD.

Reply to
John Rumm

No, although not much to stop them getting away with it.

It wasn't really until 17th edition that you could no longer get away without an RCD.

TT systems have always required an RCD or Voltage operated ELCB, at least back to 14th Edition and probably earlier.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Is that because a replacement of CU is regarded as 'major'?

Very true! :-)

Thanks Andrew, it's not TT, I think it's PME but I didn't look that hard.

So it's *probably* pre 17th edition, which sems to be 2008 with 16th edition being 2004. I hadn't realised they were that recent, so the CU could well have been replace post 2000.

Reply to
cl

The 16th edition regs certainly required sockets that could be used for outdoor portable equipment to have RCD protection.

No date sticker behind the MCBs?

Reply to
ARW

Yes, but that was mostly not understood, and often not implemented.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The 16th edition was published in 1991 and replaced the 15th edition from 1st January 1993

16th Edition Amendment 1 was in 2002 with Amemdment 2 in 2004
Reply to
The Other Mike