RCD Protection of lighting sockets

Here's one for a little debate: As part of our overall rewiring project I'm about to rewire the lounge and intend to put in some, (5A round pin), lighting sockets switched from a wall switch. It's been much trumpeted in this newsgroup about the safety advantages of having the lighting circuits on the non-RCD side of a split load CU, - and that is indeed how my lighting is wired. However, what is the esteemed panels view on the fact that the, (in my case), floor lamps will also then be fed from a non-RCD'd outlet. Does anyone see this as a problem with them being (almost) a portable item? and if so what are the other options.

Another thought that crosses my mind is that 'plug in' lights are normally only fused at 3A and potentially only have cable rated at 3A. If I replace their standard fused square pin plug with a 5A round pin plug then I am not protecting that 3A cable with anything other than a

6A MCB. - What is the norm in this case? - to 'gloss over' it, or can you in fact get hold of fused round pin plugs?
Reply to
Mike Hall

If you're taking the supply from the existing consumer unit lighting circuit breaker, then the consumer unit is, or should be, already giving the proper protection to them.

If you're creating a new supply from the mains ring circuit, then the new lighting circuit supply should be created through a fused spur unit fitted with the correct rated fuse for the proper protection it needs.

Reply to
BigWallop

I have a couple of room lights on such outlets, but they are never moved around. I would suggest that's unlikely to happen for the room lighting you switch at the doorway.

BTW, 2A sockets are fine. It's gone from the regs now because they no longer specify such things, but 2A sockets were allowed on circuits fused at up to 10A (as commonly found in commercial premises for lighting circuits).

Actually, all appliances sold in the EU have to be safe with

16A protection, as used in some other countries. The effect is to limit the length of 0.5mm² flex to a couple of metres (can't recall the exact value) so that in the event of a short circuit, the cable resistance is low enough to allow a 16A breaker to clear the fault quickly before the cable overheats. If you have an older pre-EEC appliance with a long flex, then this might be a problem.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's fascinatingI didn't know that! - one lamp is an Ikea circa 2001 and the other an M&S circa 1995 so I think that solves the 'fusing' aspect quite nicely. Thanks Andrew

Reply to
Mike Hall

On 11 Nov 2004 14:26:42 -0800, mike snipped-for-privacy@peppertree-broadcast.co.uk (Mike Hall) strung together this:

Doesn't matter, you've obviouisly been fed duff information. It's not portable equipment that requires RCD protection, it's outlets that are reasonably expected to supply portable equipment used outdoors. As it is highly unlikely that you will plugging outdoor electrical appliances into the 5A sockets then no RCD protection is required. Also, you don't actually need RCD protection on any other sockets technically, unless you're likely to be plugging in portable appliances used outdoors, but most people do. So in summary, no RCD protection for 5A sockets.

Reply to
Lurch

Whilst I accept that it would have to be a somewhat unusual situation for a RCD to ever actually be useful in this case, I'd *personally* still protect them with an RCD. Mainly because then I'd feel safer plugging lamps in that had metal parts - DI or not. Or should that be particularly if they *are* DI ;)

Also they are not likely to be the only source of light so even that argument doesn't really apply.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:03:01 +0000, Lee strung together this:

Each to their own.

Although, the chances are that the 5A sockets are fed from the lighting circuit so there probably wouldn't be any lighting in the vicinity in the event of the RCD tripping.

Reply to
Lurch

Fairy Nuff. Was assuming they were on a separate circuit.

Lee

Reply to
Lee