Whats THIS for ?

has intrigued me for years. If there are stairs up to it there can't be much room left. Given the age of the house it would seem unlikely it was originally for a lift shaft. So what was its original purpose? Astral observatory ?

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

It's called a "belvedere" or "belvidere" and is purely for admiring the beautiful view, hence its name. It looks as if it has windows all round for this purpose.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

It has access out to the flat roof. But no railings, so a roof-garden seems unlikely, perhaps a large water tank for the whole terrace?

Reply to
Andy Burns

> Or

Given that it appears to have doors each side and its size, I suspect it is simply the head of a set of stairs that lead to the roof.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

But in that case, why did they bother to put windows on all four sides?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah...some of those 'windows' are doors?

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's what it looks like to me - one towards the front of the building and one towards the back.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

> Or

Irish loft conversion?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

> Or

From the "satelite" view (corner of Emorville Ave. and S Circular Rd) it looks like it's open to the sky. A roof patio sheltered from the wind perhaps

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Weird, isn't it? And it shows those 'doors' opening almost onto pitched roofs either side.

I thought the windows might be dummies, and perhaps it once housed a water tank. But the curtains at the front aren't neat enough, and the window looks newish (and open).

I wonder if the satellite view is exaggerating depth, and that's just a flat roof with a small (12 inch?) wall round it...

Reply to
Bob Eager

They'd get a good view of the church from up there.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Microsoft's one happens to be better for this location (I always check both) and makes it look like a flat roof with a parapet.

seems that the door on "this" side opens into a gulley.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

>>> Or

It's got gutters and a downpipe, so it must have a roof

Reply to
Phil L