Making a Newton's Cradle

I wish to make a large Newton's Cradle. That usually consists of five suspended steel balls. Ideally the balls will be at least 2" in diameter or up to 12" or 24" in diameter. If they were steel they are likely to injure childen. So they can't be steel. Billiard balls bounce well but are still too heavy. Golf balls don't seem to bounce properly so they are no good, and are too small. Soccer balls don't bounce that well either. Polystyrene foam is too flimsy.
Any brilliant ideas? I have an idea which I will experiment with.
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 01:47:11 -0700 (PDT), Matty F

Grenades?
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 10:26:17 +0100, Appelation Controlee wrote:

Cartoon bombs, with realistic-looking fuses and "bomb" written on the sides in white lettering.
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 14:08:37 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

Just for a laugh, you could put a *real* bomb in there.
Kaboom! ;-)

http://www.brindley-steel-forging.co.uk / are good for big steel balls

They must learn

That might be OK in the UK but in NZ we have a government department that will prosecute someone making a device that they consider dangerous. The inspectors that I've seen are women.
On 01/06/2010 12:39, Matty F wrote:

Good grief.
The inspectors that I've seen are women.
Close down all cookware and dressmaking shops :-)
--
Adrian C

On 01/06/10 12:39, Matty F wrote:

So you can't use chain and cannonballs then... :(
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 13:18:28 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

You just need some big pressure-sensitive switch on the ground, activating some mechanism to stop things dead if the switch is tripped. Unless the little buggers decide to meddle from above, I suppose... :-)
cheers
Jules

He already mentioned ball and chains in the previous sentence
--
geoff

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 04:39:07 -0700 (PDT), Matty F

Sounds like a good idea. We are supposed to have something similar in Europe but it apparently relies much too heavily on self-monitoring and -certification.

In what way is that relevant, or noteworthy?

The two I saw had no mechanical sense whatsoever. Situations that have existed for 40 years or more and which have never caused any accidents or problems, they saw as needing urgent attention. e.g. someone climbing a ladder without a safety harness and helmet.
saying something like:

HSE Disease mindset, where they see bogies everywhere.
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 15:15:32 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Bloody railway engineers, spoiling our fun!
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 05:52:24 -0700 (PDT), Matty F

There are plenty of men like that too. Gender is not a reliable indicator of whether someone possesses any particular type of sense.
But I suppose someone being from NZ is a slightly more reliable indicator of gratuitous misogyny. ;-)
On 01/06/10 15:27, Bruce wrote:

I worked somewhere where the male H&S idiot used to lock off the tearoom if the tealady (how quaint) wasn't in, "in case someone burn themselves on the urn". FFS... Electronic Engineering department too.
Bit different to the Mech Eng department I worked in the in late 80's. Got stuck in the lift as the doors had come unaligned with each other. Anyway, one of the lecturers (big beard, pipe, tweed jacket, proper mechanical bloke) let me out with the door key. Then rammed his arm between the doors, jiggled the mechanism back into line and wandered off... I took the stairs after that... Oh, and we had a bloody big urn balanced on the fridge right by the door in that tearoom...
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

Uh oh. Give a man an H&S title and ...

Eek. I would have used the stairs too.
Back in the 70s, I recall using a lift that had no doors and was in constant motion. Cannot recall where it was but it was somewhere in the UK. Scary. After one try, I took the stairs.

No H&S man, then.
On 01/06/2010 17:17, Bruce wrote:

Paternoster?
I liked the one I had a go in. (oxford, physics or chemistry dept? Can't remember which)
Clive George wrote:

Salford had one in the (now demolished) Chemistry Tower. Chemists had to be dissuaded from leaping aboard with arms full of glassware.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 17:17:31 +0100, Bruce wrote:

University of Essex libraty had one. Paternoster they're called.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org