What are the green lights on these houses for...?

Several Council-built houses in my area (Loughton, North) have green bulkhead lights on the outside. e.g.

I noticed that many of them have recently been replaced with LED versions, as many were switched on this morning, and the covers are clear not green as shown in the above pic.

They aren't for illumination, as they're not very bright - I assume some sort of signalling, but what?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

ulkhead lights on =A0the

rsions, as many were

the above pic.

sort of signalling, but

no green light visible there

NT

Reply to
Tabby

> Today I noticed that many of them have recently been replaced with

Are they sheltered housing or similar?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

bulkhead lights on the

versions, as many were

of signalling, but

It's clear enough here - is the URL not wrapping properly?

(No clue what they are for though!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

>>> Today I noticed that many of them have recently been replaced with

Possibly some of them, definitely not all, but I would have thought any sort of alarm type thing would be by phone etc. What good would a light visible from the street be?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

of alarm type thing

Gay brothel? ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Handyman"

of alarm type thing

Following an alarm, it could make the property easier to identify from the street for, say, an ambulance driver who is not familiar with the area.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I think they are fitted to make the vulnerable easier to identify by bad people. Much like ramps and hand holds do. I think they should be fitted to houses other than the vulnerable e.g. Q houses.

Reply to
dennis

WTF is a Q house?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I blame the schools..

dennis

Our history lessons did tend to focus on Meospotamia, crop rotation and Tudor England ... the most modern war covered was the the Norman conquest!

thanks.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I wonder if they have any trolling around off Somalia?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

all your own work?

Reply to
Graham.

ulkhead lights on =A0the

Basement flood warning?

Radon warning?

I guess something that needs to be observable from outside the house when the occupant isn't at home.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

le was all your own work?

Never heard of Q cars?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

bulkhead lights on  the

Cabled from roof so seems unlikely

Not in this area AFAIK

but what?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

If they'e council houses you could ask the council. Freedom of Information etc.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think the OP should go and knock on the occupant's door and ask them - put this ng out of its misery!

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Mike Harrison writes

Isn't it a "nuclear free zone" ?

must be geiger counters, set to go off if any householder in the area should think of building a bomb

Reply to
geoff

..and are too stupid to take a bulb out...

Reply to
Mike Harrison