What tool?

Ding! Ding! Ding!

You mentioned a magic word. I'm seriously looking at a trailer option presently, but haven't got further than noticing trailers for sale in the entrance to the local B&Q shed (and no, I'm not considering buying one but it got me thinking....).

Can you offer any useful snippets about what trailer or trailer bits are worth looking at?

My needs are simple - I want something relatively small, say 4ft square, which I can toss rubbish into for taking down the dump.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

a colleague bought one of those a while ago and seems happy with it.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Hello Andrew

I'll have a 99 please!

They little galvanised things? They look ok for light work, but a few careless stones will mean they will soon get dented, bashed and start to rust. Not sure about their weight abilities, but that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Then the cheapie B&Q ones may well do the job. I don't know of any cheaper options, unless you happen to own a welder and have a spare axle knocking about. Grab some thin blue polyprop rope too if you're doing bulky rubbish, small trailers bounce quite well. They are lightweight so won't stand abuse, but look after them and they should be ok. Trailer specilist places may be worth a look, but IME they tend to be overpriced, especially for spares and accessories. My local one also has the same trailer (A Caddy, iirc) that B&Q does but 50 quid dearer. If it doesn't have a jockey wheel, be aware you prolly won't be able to unhitch it loaded, but they're dead easy to move around when empty.

PLEASE practice your reversing if you've not towed a trailer before, or at least stay out of the lanes! (Bane of my life, trailer drivers who can't reverse). The smaller the trailer the harder it is to reverse.

Check your licence. Towing rules changed ~96 so if your licence was gained after that you may need a seperate test (or not, it's complicated - I can get you some info if this is the case).

I've got four trailers now, but my little one is what I've just finished refurbing for the fourth time (had it 16 years or so, exchanged it rotted for a couple of hours work). 6'x4', 1/2 tonne or so. Home built and uses the back axle off a Vauxhall Viva, complete with drive shaft that's been collared and welded up to the chassis. Useful size, small enough for my lawnmower, big enough so it's usable. Hopefully this 18mm wpb ply, with four coats of bitumastic emulsion, should last a good few years.

Reply to
Simon Avery

That's a concern for me, not having towed anything before. Thanks for the tip.

I passed in c. 1976 so I should be okay.

I also passed my motorbike test a couple of years earlier than that, so can ride any two wheeled chariot, none of this poncing around with tests and limits for me. However you wouldn't get me back on two wheels now for love nor money - way too dangerous!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.