Recommendation wanted for 6kg-ish breaker

From time to time over the last year I've needed to tackle heavier work than my 2kg SDS can make much impression on, such as cutting into walls made with flints embedded amongst bricks, and breaking up concrete.

Watching some guys breaking up a thick concrete floor slab with a Bosch which took SDS-MAX tools leads me to think that this is the sort of thing I need, and I'm guessing about 6kg is the mark. Of course this sort of kit is not cheap: any recommendations for suitable and reasonably priced tools/suppliers?

Reply to
YAPH

A new breaker has appeared in the Wickes tool-line - I *think* it's a re-badged Kress, same as the rest of their premier tool line (has the grey body). If it is, they're well under-priced for a premier brand. (I think it's about 250 quid). It's not yet on their website, but is in my local branch (Kings Lynn).

Be sure to write a review so I know whether to buy it!

I've relied on hiring when I need the extra clout (and does give you a hands on trial before you buy, all be it at some cost) - and I've seen quite a few people say that the Screwfix own-brand stuff, although at the economy end of the market, is better than might be expected.

Reply to
dom

Yup, played that game ;-)

I would have thought the 6kg machines would be a bit too light for this sort of thing - they often only give two to three times the impact energy of a decent 2kg SDS. Makita do 1050W 6.1kg machine for example that can hit at up to about 9J.

The 10kg class SDS Max machines have a more useful impact energy of between 8 - 25J or so (for the variable speed ones). These are probably ideal for an intermediate class of breaker, filling the gap between SDS and full on breaker nicely. The problem with these tends to be the price

- its usually only the pro brands selling in this range, so you can expect to pay £500+

Another option, would be to go for the heavier 20kg breakers. These are available as cheap Chinese brands, and since this sounds like an occasional use item, that may be a more pragmatic option. I needed a heavier breaker a while ago[1], and basically got the cheapest relatively heavy breaker I could from Makro, which turned out to be something very much like (branded Fairline - but identical as far as I can see):

weighs about 20kg without the chisel - perhaps just over with. It has a fairly serious hit at about 48J or thereabouts. Used pointy end downwards is has surprisingly good performance (probably not far off that of a hydraulic power pack and separate breaker of the type the hire shops usually have). I am not sure how much work I would want to give it horizontally, since its a fairly hefty beast to hold - although it is doable since the side handle carries the load toward the front of the machine.

[1] I needed to connect to a sewer pipe, that had been laid in traditional fashion by covering with a weak concrete mix before backfilling. Unfortunately the original builder had not quite grasped one of the concepts embodied in the name "weak mix", and had used something closer to C20. The 2kg SDS made a bit of noise, but was not having any serious effect after 30 mins of chiselling. The above mentioned lump romped through it in a couple of mins. Its been used perhaps half a dozen times since in the space of a couple of years, and I expect at that level of usage will last for a reasonable amount of time.
Reply to
John Rumm

This one I think:

I mis-remembered the price, it's 350 or 375 I think.

Reply to
dom

Just bought the £150 Erbaueur (sp?) (despite earlier crap experience with an Erb 2kg SDS) from SFX. It comes with 2 * 17.2mm SDS-HEX bits, and a

2-year guarantee. Anyone know what's the deal on these hex fittings? Apart from SDS-plus and SDS-max, all the bigger breakers seem to have different sizes of hex fittings, and SFX don't do spares. Are they available, or do I just take back the tool for a refund under guarantee when both the supplied ones have worn out (f the POS even lasts that long? ;-)).
Reply to
YAPH

I've not used the breaker but I have tried to source spares, and this is what happens. (The contact details are the same in the breaker manual.) :

You ring the "spares" number in the catalogue and they tell you that,

*if* spares are available, they'll be on this website:

look at the website and find that the spare you want isn't available. (In fact most of the limited range of spares available seem like generic copies rather than parts from the original supplier.) Then you notice this:

"If you cannot find the spare part your require please contact our support team and we will advise if we can help with your request."

So you ring the support team who tell you that if it ain't on the website, you're shit outta luck.

You resolve in future to either (a) buy the same product with a 3 year guarantee at half the price from Aldi or Makro and treat it as disposable, or (b) bite the bullet and pay more for something that you can buy spares (albeit expensively) for.

I think the Erbauer stuff falls between two stools. It's the same generic stuff, and the price premium reflects a slightly better standard of plastic moldings and a carry case but doesn't translate into increased longevity or after sales support.

Just my two penn'orth.

What was your bad experience with the 2kg SDS?

Reply to
mike

?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=37326&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=12732583

Reply to
John Rumm