What's the flat side of a claw hammer called?

Yup, 'face' sounds sensible.

Reply to
chris French

Webster can f*ck right off and stop pretending to be a dictionary of any sort of authority.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The message from Mike Barnes contains these words:

My Shorter Oxford dates from 1986 and has, to say the least, a rather skimpy entry for 'peen'.

"Peen (p?n). dial., techn., and U. S. 1683. [xv11 pen; app. rel. to PANE sb.2] The sharp or thin end of a hammer-head, opposite to the face = Pane sb.2"

"Pane sb2 - ... The pointed or edged end of a hammer: = north. dial. peen."

I found the attribution to the U. S. rather curious given the date and am not at all surprised that it has disappeared from the current edition.

Reply to
Roger

No, I'm quite plain.

Reply to
Skipweasel

LOL!

Reply to
John Rumm

Its the handle - it makes your bum look big..............

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Presumably, that's where shot-peening comes from. Using lots of high speed impacts of balls rather then laboriously getting the same effect with a hammer.

Sid

Reply to
unopened

"Does this look big in my bum?"