What's the flat side of a claw hammer called?

> > This came up as an aside on a friend's blog. > > So has the flat , 'hammering' side of a claw hammer got a name? You mean the head?
Reply to
John Rumm
The head is the entire thing attached to the shaft.
He means 'face', and the sides are called cheeks.
Reply to
Phil L
On 30 Jan, 00:41, chris French wrote:
Dunno, but it's unprintable when it lands on your fingers.
Reply to
Or you could go and change it, then tell him he's wrong, Wikipedia says so ;-)
Seriously, if you have a better answer go and spend five minutes fixing it. That way it will get better.
Apart from the politics behind the scenes that are ruining it, of course...
Reply to
That's the other end, where a claw hammer has a claw, a ball pein hammer has a ball pein and a sledge hammer, erm, well it doesn't always work.
Reply to
On 30 Jan, 00:41, chris French wrote:
It's called either the face or the pein.
"Peen" (two e's) is a verb, meaning to hit something with the pein ("ei").
The distinction between peins and faces is blurry these days, but faces are always nearly-flat and peins may be shaped. At one time it was only a face if it was a separate piece welded on, otherwise it was a mere pein. Sledgehammers or lump hammers are still (sometimes) described as having peins rather than faces, because they're so obviously a mere protrusion of the head, not a shaped and flattened portion.
Reply to
Andy Dingley
The message from Dave contains these words:
I have consulted several dictionaries without finding an entry for either pein or ball pein which is funny given the huge number of hits for pein with google. My spell checker denies pein's existence as well.
The dictionaries all refer to peen rather than pein and define it as the opposite end of a hammer head to the face end.
The closest I could get to pein was peine in the Shorter Oxford. Apparently it means pain in French which seem quite appropriate for the business end of a hammer. :-)
Reply to
That's very interesting. I've always thought of a ball pein (peen) hammer as having a "ball" at one side and a "pein/peen" at the other, but from what you have said, ball-pein means "a pein in the shape of a ball". Now I think about it, a pin hammer has a "cross pein".
My vote goes for "face" for the flat end.
Reply to
Dave Osborne
Hitting bit - face Other side - pein [cross, ball or whatever]...unless it is a claw then it all goes a bit pear shaped!!
do you know what the slightly reduced diameter bit [between the face and the bit in the middle where it attaches to the shaft is called]?? It is the poll [or that is what I was told many eons ago]
Reply to
On 30 Jan,
dict pein 2 definitions found
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:
Pein \Pein\, n. See {Peen}. [1913 Webster]
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:
Peen \Peen\ (p[=e]n), n. [Cf. G. pinne pane of a hammer.] (a) A round-edged, or hemispherical, end to the head of a hammer or sledge, used to stretch or bend metal by indentation. (b) The sharp-edged end of the head of a mason's hammer. [Spelt also {pane}, {pein}, and {piend}.] [1913 Webster]
Reply to
The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (on CD) has:
peen /pi:n/ n. Also pein. L17. [Origin uncertain: cf. next, PANE n.2] The end of a hammer head opposite to the face, esp. when sharp.
...where "next" is...
peen /pi:n/ v.t. E16. [App. of Norse origin: cf. Sw. dial. pena, päne, Da. dial. pene, paene, Norw. dial penna, paenna.] Beat thin with a hammer, hammer out; strike with the peen of a hammer.
Reply to
Mike Barnes

Site Timeline Threads

HomeOwnersHub website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.