What price a labourer

Any ideas on rates for labourer in East Yorkshire? I am about to be hit with an extras bill and want to get an order of the total to make sure I'm not completely ripped off. Duties covered by the guy have included: Laying drains Blockwork Patio re-laying and the like

About half way between bricky and labourer I suppose.

Also included drilling through my cables (aarrgghh!)

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

A Brickie can earn upto about £12 an hour or £120 a day, labourer £7 an hour.

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Steve

Is that Yorkshire rate? How do you know? Are you in the trade youself?

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Didn't you ask before the work was done?

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I'd concur with those rates (maybe a bit low for a good brickie?) but bear in mind that assuming you are paying a company to do this work, and that they will be paying the labourer, then the cost to you is likely to be considerably more than the labourer's hourly rate (that's how the company makes a profit)

David

Reply to
Lobster

I think you might find a labourer on this rate expects to be allowed off one morning a fortnight to sign on as well.

Reply to
Mike

Are you having a laugh? Hod carriers can earn £12 an hour in the South East!

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Thanks to all.

Got the bill last night and it was £40 less than my calculated total of £870. Yes I got an "indication" of the cost of extras, but wanted to be prepared if that suddenly increased substantially. All in all I feel I have got a decent (not perfect) job done for a fair sum but time will tell!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

not in the trade but bro lives in e yorks and is paying these rates currently.

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

A top class brickie who is quick too will defiantly command more...but a steady decent (average) brickie wants about a ton, ton twenty. a far cry from 5 years ago when i paid £50 a day!

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Reply to
biff

Once upon a time a houseowner was presented with a bill for some work and was surprised at its size. "Ah," said the craftsman, "some of it is for doing the work, but most of it is for knowing how to do it."

Reply to
biff

Biff

"most of it is for knowing how to do it."

A valid point! When attempting new (ie stuff I haven't attempted recently/before) DIY jobs, I probably spend more time sorting out the best method/materials than I spend doing the job.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

thats what I thought!

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Ah but once done (and groups like this help enormously) you'll know how to do it for the rest of your life.

Reply to
Mike

Mike

Not quite true in my case unfortunately for two reasons:

  1. Poor memory for methods, materials etc (strangely excellent one for numbers!) though I am trying to keep a diary for future reference.
  2. First house was old terraced property bought twenty years ago in which I did a lot of DIY - central heating, rewiring etc. Second house was new build. So it's the best part of 20 years since I did a lot of this. Regulations and materials have changed significantly in that time, as I am gradually discovering.

But yes I agree whole heartedly about the assistance provided by this group for which I am constantly grateful. Occasionally this stuff gets a bit overwhelming and the guys (and gals perhaps) resolve the situation with an injection of common sense practicality.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

... and a good bit of 'lively discussion' on what is the best form of common sense :-)

Reply to
Mike

For "dirty cash", 9 quid an hour and up, more for special skills, or extra equipment. an hour consists of say 45 minuites actuall work, and

15 mins smoke/tea/paper/loo etc ..... The ratio varies if the weather is bad, or the guys wife blew a gasket the night before.

Rick

Reply to
Rick