What might be wrong with my microwave?

I've now had a chance to test the grill and the convection oven, and both are still working. So the inverter does perhaps seem the likely culprit.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I have a panasonic nn a554w microwave. The turntable has stopped turning on all cooking options.

Reply to
alphasheepdog

Burned out motor or stripped gears or what ever switches it on is buggered. You will have to do some diy to find out which!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Turntable motor probebly.

No need to remove the cover, access is provided on the underside of the machine.

Unplug, Set it on its side, and use a rat-tail file to remove the knock-out hatch.

It should be obvious how to proceed from there, The motors operate at mains voltage and usually differ between machine makes/models only by spindle length, so you may be in luck if you have a scrap machine as a parts donor.

There will be some lugs and screw holes to refit the hatch. They may have even parked the self-tapper(s) in the hole(s)

Reply to
Graham.

It was 3 yrs ago, but fwiw early nukes were water cooled

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

£7.50 from CPC
alan_m

Do you use the alternative functions at all or like many things it sounded good at the time? (like 95% of cooker timers) if you only ever microwave with it I'd suggest a new el-cheapo supermarket special might be far the simplest solution.

Reply to
johnjessop46

Do some options result in a non rotating turntable on purpose? If so you might just have a relay issue. brain

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Our Panasonic stopped working. It turned out to be the magnetron which had overheated and cracked a magnet. A replacement magnetron fixed it. The reason for the overheating was that the narrow channels through the magnetron heat sink had become completely blocked with dust. Now, when I remember, I take the covers off and vacuum out those channels. I feel that some kind of easily replaceable air filter in the airflow to the magnetron would be a big improvement to the design - together with some warning indicator to tell when to replace.

Reply to
Edgar

Edgar,

I'm grateful for your thoughts. Did you realise that you're replying to a post I made nearly three years ago?

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Discovering Google Groups. Sorry.

However I think the idea of cleaning out the heat sink is still useful.

Edgar

Reply to
edgariredale

Edgar,

Unfortunately, I no longer own the oven in question. And I'm afraid I can't now remember if I did manage to fix it, or if I did, how. But thanks again for your advice.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Thanks for the suggestion...I m facing a similar issue... Microwave used fo r twenty minutes on full power to defrost frozen spaghetti (probably should n't have done that) since then microwave cuts out after 30-40 seconds altho ugh once or twice a day it still goes on without cutting but doesn't really heat the food, sort of warms it up... I guess magnetron is on the blink...

Reply to
gswarraich

for twenty minutes on full power to defrost frozen spaghetti (probably shou ldn't have done that) since then microwave cuts out after 30-40 seconds alt hough once or twice a day it still goes on without cutting but doesn't real ly heat the food, sort of warms it up... I guess magnetron is on the blink. ..

Most likely a partially shorted transformer. A damaged thermal cutout is no t impossible.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr