OT: software to calculate and record annual leave

The voluntary sector organisation I work for needs some software for calcul ating staff annual leave entitlements and recording leave taken. We use Exc el but need something better.

The problem is a lot of staff tend to be less than full time and/or do bits of extra hours for a few months and this makes the calculations tricky as they earn extra pro-rata annual leave when they do.

We use Sage but the bit of that that might handle this can?t, so I?m to ld.

Reply to
Murmansk

calculating staff annual leave entitlements and recording leave taken. We use Excel but need something better.

extra hours for a few months and this makes the calculations tricky as they earn extra pro-rata annual leave when they do.

I'd have thought that a _voluntary_ sector organisation wouldn't use leave "entitlements" but simply rely on agreements re when to go on holiday, BICBW.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

ulating staff annual leave entitlements and recording leave taken. We use E xcel but need something better.

ts of extra hours for a few months and this makes the calculations tricky a s they earn extra pro-rata annual leave when they do.

If you are recording the hours I don't see why this can't be done in Excel.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

calculating staff annual leave entitlements and recording leave taken. We use Excel but need something better.

of extra hours for a few months and this makes the calculations tricky as they earn extra pro-rata annual leave when they do.

I think your point is that it sounds odd for a _voluntary_ sector organisation to have paid staff. I agree it sounds odd but seems to be the accepted term. See

"The voluntary sector or community sector (also non-profit sector or "not-for-profit" sector)"

Employment law for charities is no more fun than employment law for anyone else.

Reply to
Malcolm G

nor is H&S. Vounteers have to be treated as employees in this respect..

Reply to
charles

You need a Sage developer to write you the necessary code. Might be expensive!

GB

Thanks for the responses.

I only mentioned the voluntary sector to imply that we don't have much money to spend on this.

The organisation has a number of paid staff and a number of voluntary staff. It's the paid staff that are having their annual leave calculated and recorded just like in any other "company".

Reply to
Murmansk

I'm assuming that the OP is asking about the paid staff, in which case I don't see the problem

someone, somewhere has to have worked out their hours in order to pay them, so this same figure is the one that is used to calculate their holiday entitlement.

Reply to
tim......

calculating staff annual leave entitlements and recording leave taken. We use Excel but need something better.

of extra hours for a few months and this makes the calculations tricky as they earn extra pro-rata annual leave when they do.

It can. I used to use Excel to work out all my staff working hours (using very flexible attendance times), leave allowances, sickness absences, productivity bonuses (which could be individual, team or group) and to link those into management accounts that gave me very precise costs of production and predicted monthly outputs. However, the limiting factor might be the abilities of whomsoever is doing their Excel programming.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

:-)