OT. Record shot.

A Canadian sniper killed a bad guy from quite a ways. 11,319 feet. Ten seconds.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Fake News - he was just trying to wing him & he missed. :-)

Reply to
hubops

Ten seconds seems a little long as muzzle velocity is 2,641 fps according to Wiki. Myth Busters showed if you can see muzzle flash you can duck.

Reply to
Frank

The projectile begins to slow down immediately ... and continues to slow down, more and more. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Of course and maybe if I could remember my calculus I could calculate terminal velocity but haven't used it in 50 years.

Reply to
Frank

hubops

Which ignores friction losses entirely, though, which over those distances and at that muzzle velocity, while I've not tried to even guesstimate magnitudes, I think would be substantial effect.

Reply to
dpb

Air resistance is the important factor as is also the bullet shape. Rifle scope would be adjusted for distance. Some now even contain a laser to tell the exact distance and even set the X ring. They also dial in crosswind velocity. Air resistance accounts for terminal velocity for a straight up shot but this shot is not straight up.

In the process of typing this I decided to google the question and came up with this:

Different weapon but it took 7.2 seconds.

Reply to
Frank