What is your favourite microporous paint?

What is your favourite microporous paint?

I'm about to start on some exterior joinery (a framed-legged-braced gate and some frames for double-glazed units) and I'm trying to decide on a microporous paint. There's a bewildering choice and I could use some help.

I was going to go with the Teknos opaque coating system which can be applied by brush or by spray but it's coverage is only 3-6m^2/l which makes it fairly expensive.

Sickens have so many different paints, even just considering the opaques. From their marketing patter it's impossible to tell what's different between them. Can anyone shed some light on this?

And I've heard people mention Sandolin. Are they comparable to Teknos/Sikens?

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

My experience is they are shit. The coloured ones seem to attract dirt and it can't be washed off. So light colours are a bad idea. And they still flake off.

Reply to
harry

What do you suggest using instead?

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

I just use a spirit based coloured wood preservative. They are getting hard to find these days with this "low VOC" thing.

The water based wood preservers are shit too. And the wood we use is shit.

We are all doomed, doomed.

Reply to
harry

my conservatory came factory sprayed in a Teknos paint and a large tin was supplied to overcoat/touch up etc.

In general (5 odd years) it is lasting well, though problem areas seem to be cills and bottom beads on windows where water seems able (frost?) to get behind it then it tends to flake and need redoing. Other than that Its pretty good IMHO - easy to apply, quite opaque, dries quick, easy clean up (water).

Sadolin systems are good too - well the spirit based ones - I last used on a sunny-side hardwood door that must be 10years since it had a coat - still in good order.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I should mention this needs to be white or black to fit in with everything else.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Is this the Teknos Aqua Top 2600? Is coverage noticeably poor? I'm curious what it is about the paint that makes it cover 3-6m^2 instead of the normal 14 or so.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

pass. will look when i'm next to it next.

pass. I just slapped it on til it looked right...seems no huge chore to apply tho

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

On Monday 18 February 2013 16:20 Alexander Lamaison wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I like Sadolin - but I cannot say if it is th best...

Sadolin PX65 probably was the best - but it doesn't exit anymore, probably because it was full of evil...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've decided to give that a whirl, is it just my area, or are they still at the chicken/egg stage?

Seems they only have only a couple of other people on O2 near me, one on orange, and nobody on t-mobile, vodafone or three.

Do they really only keep data for 6 months? In which case I might as well ditch it now; or do they only ditch data in places where they haven't anything more recent to replace it with?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Its not that hard to make your own creosote. Fire, closed metal container, pipe, collecting bottle, and either water to condense it or a long pipe.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The existing gate it painted as is all other exterior timber. Creosote would look ... odd. Surely you would't creosote a window frame? Or is that less wierd than it sounds to me?

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

On Monday 18 February 2013 21:33 Andy Burns wrote in uk.d-i-y:

London has good coverage as do the main arterial roads. I would say that Open Signal maps *had* pretty good coverage, but since they don't seem to bother processing data in a timely fashion, I decided to look around. The only one who looked like they were active in the UK was Sensorly. If it's true that they got a million in venture capital to kick this off they must be serious. And they did reply to a tweet I made in short order.

I did not see the 6 months bit - - nope, still can't see it??? Could ask them I guess :)

I find it quite fun to turn it on when driving somewhere new (I use my phone as a GPS anyway, so it's on the dash in an optimum position). Looking at the results when I get back is interesting. If nothing else, it's helpful to me, as I know next time whether I'm going to get good 3G in certain places, like the hairdressers after I've had my 10 minute trim whilst waiting for SWMBO for another hour :-o

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Alexander Lamaison writes

I have used 2 types of International brand microporous paints.

The first was their original Ranch Paint which dries to quite a flat finish. While I liked this for the window frames I used it on I'd be concerned about it taking finger marks and looking shabby quite soon on a gate.

When I came to do some more frames I found that Ranch Paint was still listed but not so readily available so I used their '10 Year Exterior Gloss' which dries to a proper high gloss. It's lasting well and if I was using microporous again, this is the one I would choose. Limited colour range I think but they certainly do black and white, I used black.

No experience of other types.

Reply to
fred

Good point. Hadn't thought of that. I have a tin of the stuff that I've saved for the fascias, but was toying with the idea of using it for the gate. I won't now.

There are other colours? ;)

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison