What do YOU pay for broadband?

ah. stupid old windows.

" ASCII: 7 bits. 128 code points.

ISO-8859-1: 8 bits. 256 code points.

UTF-8: 8-32 bits (1-4 bytes). 1,112,064 code points.

Both ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 are backwards compatible with ASCII, but UTF-8 is not backwards compatible with ISO-8859-1: "

Well if he will run legacy software that hasnt been updated in a decade on a legacy OS....that hasn't been updated in 15..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well quoted printable is not applicable to UTF8 so thats two mistakes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well done. I have ordered Plusnet broadband and I have been thinking about getting one of the mobile sims to start when my Vodafone contract expires at the end of April. I normally use very little data, partly because I mostly have access to Wifi. I bought a new Xiaomi phone so I might use the data a bit more.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Donno about CS, not had to use it. SMARTY are owned by Hutchison 3G and the parent is Three UK.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's leaving me as ISO-8859-1 quoted printable. Something else is mangling it to UTF8.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ISO Latin 1 includes a pound sign, the client is doing the encoding to keep the message 7-bit clean, but it's mixing expectations that clients are old enough to dislike 8-bit code pages yet they accept QP encoding ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

For as long as 3 are around: they own Smarty? And it's a monthly contract.

Contact is through chat and so far, when I've had a question, it's been good.

I'll probably stick with my EE SIM only contract. Unlimited calls (very important to me) unlimited texts (not important) and 2Gb/M.

I seldom use up the 2Gb as I always sing into wifi where possible at work (most offices etc are happy to let you use their wifi if you ask, if not the password is usually on a whiteboard in the secretaries office).

Reply to
ARW

EE random IP address. ADSL2+ 4656kbps DOWN 1003kbps UP

(usually faster DOWN 5-6M but BT "improved" things in the village by adding new cables recently - trashing my daffodils in the process)

Line rental + broadband £25 inc VAT + some daytime calls £2.

Mobile - EE contract 200 minutes, unlimited txts, 5.5GB data £5 (extracted various bonuses to get this - original was 200m,unl,0.5GB)

Generally burn mobile phone minutes and data first, and sometimes run up £5 or so charges on it in a busy month but most times overrun is <£1.

Exploits having everything with one provider to get best discounts and periodic threats to leave to keep the price/offer suitably keen.

I also get 3% back by using Santander 123 DDs to pay.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Virgin Media cable

172.5Mbit down 10.5Mbit up £42/month

VOIP 'line rental' £1.20 per number per month

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Sorry - my mistake, should have said quoted printable is not applicable to ISO-8859-1.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup.And then when he gets clients who can understand all that replying, it gets into UTF8, and he then mangles that still further..

Basically that OS/2 news reader is shot.

Sometimes you have to move with the times if you want to be understood.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Out of curiousity how much did the broadband fairy actually charge to install FTTP?

My address theoretically is FTTP on request but I shudder to think what they would charge me to run 3 miles of fibre from the exchange.

I presume you had fibre somewhere quite nearby?

Reply to
Martin Brown

AIUI if they decide to fit FTTP instead of FTTC, the price is the same as FTTC for given speed; but if you want FTTPoR where FTTC is available the price is silly money.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Until a few years ago I lived in a small country village, hamlet really, 60 houses, and the phone cables were a mix of overhead and underground from the cabinets at the top of the road. 1-2Mbit/s were normal speeds.

When Fibre was proposed everyone assumed it would be FTTC, but no, they put FTTP to everyone who alread was on Broadband at no extra charge. I'd have to pay to get that here and I'm within a city boundary. The villagers don't know what to do with their speed though there are a couple of business who I'm sure are delighted.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Or just stick to a really old ASCII client that doesn't aim to confuse anybody?

Usenet and email both trying to be too clever :(

Reply to
AnthonyL

£50 - just to supply and install the PON router. (There would have been a small extra charge if I had wanted the ISPs router as well - but I was planning on using my own. In reality I also upgraded my own router which added another ~£250 to the cost)

Yup, we were listed as FTTPoD (i.e. "On demand") for a a couple of years or more. I did investigate what it would cost you buy, but it was next to impossible to find anyone who actually wanted to supply it.

They installed fibre along the street in May last year. Since its all on poles above ground, they needed access to get at some of them including mine. That was quite handy since it meant I had a captive one I could ply with lots of tea and interrogate :-)

He intimated that tail end of the year was a likely go live date. In reality it did not happen until this year. I think the delay was actually connecting the PON at the supply end.

One it became "live" in the broadband availability checkers it was then reasonably easy to order from a variety (but not all) ISPs. On the day they sent two Openreach men/vans. The first one did the new cable drop from the pole to the house (probably 15m from pole to house), and got the cable into the house where I wanted it delivered. The second one mounted the new box on the wall close to my comms cabinet, and took the install up to the point of getting the PON connection lit on the router.

I got the impression it was unusual for them to not be doing the whole install including the router. (They almost seemed shocked someone had not ordered it all from BT!) They also did not have any idea how to configure up or access the service. However my first guess seemed to work just fine (connect the PON box to the WAN2 port on my router, and configure that to make a PPPoE connection using my account details from the ISP).

Reply to
John Rumm

using baby-jumbo?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I still have it set to the default 1492, but I expect it would take more. I might have to investigate.

Reply to
John Rumm

Handy site for testing ...

Andy Burns